Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all do people post build threads on this forum? We're in the middle of converting an ex Ambulance, always found build threads a great way of picking pwoples brains on other forums.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,630 Posts
Hi all do people post build threads on this forum? We're in the middle of converting an ex Ambulance, always found build threads a great way of picking pwoples brains on other forums.
I think you just did.
Start one that is.

Just continue adding to this thread, pop in photos (we love photos), tell us what you've done, any bits you've learnt, any questions.
We will be interested and as you say, a great way for all to learn.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,251 Posts
Hello and welcome. :smile2: More recently there's been members coming aboard with an interest in self-build projects too. But whether ready-made or self-build we are all happy to discuss anything to do with campervans.
If its occasional questions add new posts here, but should you wish to add your whole project from start to finish (and with lots of pics hopefully) you'd might like to start your own thread so you have a full diary/record of your build.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,630 Posts
What, no blue lights and sirens :grin2:

Surprised they didn't clear all the kit out, may not be a lot in the scheme of things but the wheel chair and ramp/stretcher (whatever it is on the back door) would cost a bob or two.... I thought the NHS was broke!

Looks like a solid base for your project though, what mileage on it ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i bought her she came with a rattle from the engine that turned out to be a totally missing small end bearing from cylinder 1, after seeing how much metal was in the oil i wasnt ecpecting simply replacing the shells to sort the problem, but tried it anyway. I was pretty much looking at a full engine build to change the crank anyway so no harm trying it. Turned out the new shells didnt sort everything, that became evident when the con rod shot through the front and back of the block, ooops haha.
Amazingly the damage was limited to the bottom half of the engine, so got the cheapest spairs repairs engine i could find amd started ordering parts for the rebuild. The donor engine was scrapped due to a slipped cam belt and had clearly been left outside for some time judging by the amout of water in the cylinders, but it wasnt seized so knew i could work with it. After a long weekend i decided to just swap the cam belt and oil on the donor and see if she'd fire up, amazingly she did ? its not fair to say she was running sweet, but at least she was running. The rest of the van is in extremely good condition and the underneath is like a 2yr old van so now its engine out again for a complete strip down.
New parts order/ready to fit:
Complete head gasket/seal set
New rocker/cam bolts
Head bolts
Small/large bearing shells
Crank seal
Fuel/oil/air filters
Boost/vacuum valve
Cam belt kit.

The only parts in struggling to source are con rod cap bolts, hate paying over the odds through a dealer so trying to find the specs to source them from alternative suppliers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What, no blue lights and sirens

Surprised they didn't clear all the kit out, may not be a lot in the scheme of things but the wheel chair and ramp/stretcher (whatever it is on the back door) would cost a bob or two.... I thought the NHS was broke!

Looks like a solid base for your project though, what mileage on it ?
Shes done 220k miles, but over £12k (ive got the receipts) spent on her in the last 2yrs so must of the running gear, suspension, brakes, turbo, duel mass, clutch, gearbox, exhaust, tyres, alternator, starter and more are almost new.

Hehe found the wiring and box of tricks for the blue lights and sirens, the just took the liggts and a couple of relays out hehe. Theyll be replaced with ambers before shes done ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm envious of the workshop, pit and everything.
Beats working on the drive.......

Why the engine swap/rebuild ?
Wish i could say it was mine, but i was just robbing a bit of space at the time, im back on the drive now.

I noticed that there was some blow back through the air intake which im assuming is the seal between the head and intake manifold and the injectors wouldnt seal properly. As the gasket/seal kit comes with a head gasket and head bolts for an extra £20 and i hace no history with the donor engine it just makes sense to do that bit extra. As the heads coming off to do the head gasket it only makes sense to do the piston rings and bottom end shells, haha at that point you may as well do everything, id only be putting pressure on the old seals etc and dont fancy ripping it apart again in 6 months. This way shpuld give me a chance of a few years without having to touch the engine fingers crossed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone come across these cracks between inlet and outlet valves? Theyre on every cylinder. There was no signs of it when the engine was running. Ill get the head pressure tested before i rebuild it, but is this common and does it create problems?

Attachments

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,242 Posts
Yes, it used to happen all the time on the Pug engines, nothing to worry about.
If you look, you will see that your valve seats are ok and these are what matters

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it used to happen all the time on the Pug engines, nothing to worry about.
If you look, you will see that your valve seats are ok and these are what matters
Thanks, ive seen it on audi diesels and had no issues, but being really honest this is the first time ive ripped a renault apart, no doubt there'll be loads of questions to come haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the first delivery of parts have arrived. Ive got a spare head (from the original engine) so ill be stripping that tomorrow and getting it rebuilt ready to install. Has anyone tried porting these heads? They dont exactly look restictive, but there seems to be a lot of scope for openning them up. Ill be blanking the egr and remapping (seems silly not to) so may as well help it breath better.

It looks like there are two CATs? One behind the block and one one the down pipe, has anyone tried removing one or both of these? Id be interested in your feedback.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts