Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought any of these gadgets off ebay or such like and what app you use with it?? They can be quite cheap but do they work? X

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,917 Posts
Have a check through been a few threads about them ...Dancing dad and Notnoc good will keep you right on them

·
22,917 Posts
Hopefuly DD or notnoc will give pick this up and guide you ..I use icarsoft i907 but it cost me £90

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently bought from Amazon one of these OBD engine diagnostic devices intending to use it to decode and decider engine fault codes for my Citroen. I must say I was greatly disappointed. It couldn't do any of that. It cost me about £30. I think I wasted my money.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,023 Posts
I recently bought from Amazon one of these OBD engine diagnostic devices intending to use it to decode and decider engine fault codes for my Citroen. I must say I was greatly disappointed. It couldn't do any of that. It cost me about £30. I think I wasted my money.
The same one as Opening Poster bought,

·
22,917 Posts
The same one as Opening Poster bought,
Think he is talking about a generic OBD reader ..OP asking about ELM wifi/Bluetooth i think

Reactions: ours2012

·
Registered
20 Posts
The one I have obtained and tried to use is a generic a generic one of course. My quick learning is that I need to invest on a professional computerised diagnostic device and do some quick learning on how to use it.

·
22,917 Posts
Look at the link I posted here earlier for a thread discussing these ...as I said earlier I use an icarsoft i907 which is for a Renault and its simple to use

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did actually have the elm ones in mind when I posted but didn't specify it in case anyone had a decent one they could suggest. However I'm very much liking the price of the Elm specially as it not gonna be something that'll get used very much. My main use for it to tell the honest truth is to find out which seat/airbag connector is causing my serv and airbag light to be on, also if it cab pick up why my front window won't shut. So it'll be a useful gadget to have but without spending money on something that'll spend it's life in a draw lol xx

·
22,917 Posts
Does ELM show airbag system???

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Reactions: batfink5

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mmmmm yea I thought it said somewhere it would. The draw storage under the seat make it impossible to check connectors so I'd like to know which one it is before I take stuff apart. I may try one or just see if my mechanic will plug me in his mega cheap or free got see if he will put my servo in so he can do it then hopefully. Bit scared of doing the servo. I'm doin other bits myself but very wary of messing with brakes xx

·
Registered
647 Posts
Do you have a Haynes manual for the car? Used are under a tenner and it's money well spent

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
I've got one of the elm wifi adaptors, can connect to the adapter
using a lap top and wifi running obd auto doctor with Windows 10,
connects to the adapter fine but it wont connect to the Clio ecu,
not figgered out what I am doing wrong and will try it on another car
but another scanner connects to the car ok, I seem to remember
having to change a setting just cant remember what.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,023 Posts
Think its the baud rate, if memory serves me correct..
Go on to Fiat Multiscan website, it explains how to give your elm a lower speed to connect..
But its a few years ago, since I had to do it,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts