Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new (2013) Clio started to get the red "STOP" warning light coming on at odd times. Turns out that the brake fluid level in the master cylinder was low. The Techies in the service centre tell me that because the cylinder points slightly downward when the car is stopping the fluid swells forward and leaks out from under the cylinder cap. The master cylinder was damp from fluid and it seemed to make sense.
Renault Australia think it's a known issue but not a big one. However, the techies also tell me that they checked other Clio's they have in the service centre and they too have fluid outside of the cylinder.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Although Renault seem to have tried a replacement cap somewhere in the world, there appears to be no plan to fix the issue yet.
Hopefully it doesn't end up with the paint peeling off the bulkhead or the "stop" warning giving up and we end up with no brakes!!! :(

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,897 Posts
Do what ???? :eek:

Can't comment on the Clio IIIs design as I've not looked at it but a fluid reservoir design that does not contain the fluid???????????

Crazy.

If it is a known issue seems even crazier that there isn't a fix and a product recall

For years car manufacturers have happily had a sealed cap with a little bleed hole in the centre.
Not exactly rocket science.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Our new (2013) Clio started to get the red "STOP" warning light coming on at odd times. Renault Australia think it's a known issue but not a big one. :(
A "STOP" red warning light is not a minor issue.

Going up and down hill should only alter the level by a very small amount, not to levels that affect a warning light, unless the fluid is already too low.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,897 Posts
A "STOP" red warning light is not a minor issue.

Going up and down hill should only alter the level by a very small amount, not to levels that affect a warning light, unless the fluid is already too low.
Yup
But what Frankie seems to be saying is that the low fluid is being caused by it sloshing out from the reservoir cap.
Which I can understand on an old car where seals or cap have been damaged but a new(ish) Clio ??

And being told it is a design fault with no fix???

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Could be either the cap is not sealing correctly or the reservoir needs a baffle to prevent fluid being sloshed up around the neck of the reservoir opening. On some cars when you remove the cap you will notice the opening down into the reservoir is narrower than the cap with a distinct lip around the inner edge. It is normal for fluid to slosh around if the vehicle is parked on a steep slope or when braked suddenly. Obviously either the reservoir or cap requires a modification.

As this is an obvious safety problem an organisation such as VOSA (UK based) may take action. Is there a similar organistaion in your country?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I do think there's an issue with these reservoir caps... My mates 2015 Clio has just been back to Renault because he would lose most of his brake fluid after he had parked on his fairly steep driveway...:eek:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I do think there's an issue with these reservoir caps... My mates 2015 Clio has just been back to Renault because he would lose most of his brake fluid after he had parked on his fairly steep driveway...:eek:
Any idea of what Renault said or done??

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
They just replaced the cap with another of the same, I just assumed he'd had a one-off dodgy cap but seeing this thread has made me think.
As far as I know it did stop leaking, but for how long?!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
They just replaced the cap with another of the same, I just assumed he'd had a one-off dodgy cap but seeing this thread has made me think.
As far as I know it did stop leaking, but for how long?!
Many thanks for your reply.
If you find out any further info., or future developments it would help others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts