Independent Renault Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. Some very good and useful reading on here. I have had a Vel Satis for about 9 months now and have really enjoyed driving it and traveling in it. It is particularly nice for passengers to sit in, with so much space. Unfortunately my car has developed a problem after the big freeze here. It lost all power on the motorway and had to be towed to the garage. They think that the engine will need replacing! I've had a look at prices and this is going to come to about the same amount I paid for the car!
I would really like to keep this car and get it back on the road but not sure if I'll be able to afford it. Any thoughts or advice will be very gratefully received.
The car is a 3.0 Initiale diesel automatic, with lovely leather and all the gadgets I've ever wanted!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your problem.

The 3.0 DCi V6 is an Isuzu design which (I'm led to believe) is used in a few different makes; Vauxhall & Saab.

I spotted this, which may be of interest to you? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-V6-TID-3...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a62aaddf6

Hopefully someone could clarify the compatibility of this unit.

If it is of use, I would recommend changing the cambelt before installation.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks very much for this link VelSatisfied. I will ask my garage what they think about compatibility. I did take out a warranty when I bought the car but I'm expecting an almighty struggle to get them to pay up.
I'm sure it won't be covered on my insurance either. Therefore I'm weighing up the options of repairing this car at my own expense (on very limited budget) or sadly moving on what's left of the car to a good home and then starting over again. A damage limitation exercise. I really hope I can get this one back on the road though so thanks for your help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear about your woes. The Isuzu engine is used by Vauxhall and Saab, not sure how 'compatable' they would prove? Might be worth looking on ebay as there have been two or three Vel Satis's being broken. Also just check with What Part? and other breakers. Good luck, hope you manage to keep it on the road, they were never that common a sight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Things have been very quiet here.....

If anyone is lurking, would you know if the dipped beam height adjustment can be done manually, or is it necessary to visit the main dealer??

Hope some of you are still driving your Vel like I am :d

Regards Brian.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone had issues with the camshaft pulley on the 2002 2.0t Privelege?

I was just told by my mechanic that mine looks like it will go again....this will be the 3rd in 18 months.

Regards

Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I dont seem to be able to start a new thread so I hope some one will read and help.
I drive a 2002 2.2 DCi with 140 k on the clock and its in Ghana West Africa. Got it from Belgium. I have had it 7 months now.There a few guys who are able to help but mostly the problems are with parts.
My most recent problem is about smoke, itS basically carbon , no oily look but consumption is about 28 mlies per gallon, wondering if this is normal with all the smoke? Any help? I was wondering if the EGR valve if cleaned will help my case.
Anyway I have enjoyed reading all the post and love this group.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took a friend's vel satis, as a temporary car, as i am moving from ireland to the uk, i need to get new wheel bearings, is this a big job?
apparently the electrics a all over the place on it too.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there and welcome.

The wheel bearings should be no different than on any other car.

The electrics are a renault's Achilles Heel, and on a car with as much electrics as this...

Let's just say, I sold mine at a huge loss for this very reason.

Paul

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sad farewell

After almost 8 years and just under a 100,000 miles I'm about to say farewell to my VS. As we all know they are a fairly unique piece of automotive history. I will miss the long drives down to the South of France, where 'it' is at home in more ways than one. It's comfort for everyone and its load carrying capacity. But the time has come to say goodbye.
I've 'replaced' it with another even rarer French machine, a Citroen C6. The comparison is about to begin.
Anyone want a 2003 3.0dci Initial with 143,000 on-the-clock?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts