Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I have a 2006 Megane convertible cabriolet two door petrol 1.6. The car has done 113000 miles.

The car has very high fuel consumption. Is this usual?

I have had the car nearly seven months with mot due in early January next year.

Is there something wrong with the engine to cause high fuel consumption?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,841 Posts
I meant very expensive at the pump and only going about 18 miles or so then have to fill up again.
I'm not sure how that equates to 18mpg ?
To be honest, after 18 miles I would not expect the needle to move let alone having to fill up again.

Do you mean fill it up to the brim and then 18 miles later having to put a significant amount in?
If so, how much?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how that equates to 18mpg ?
To be honest, after 18 miles I would not expect the needle to move let alone having to fill up again.

Do you mean fill it up to the brim and then 18 miles later having to put a significant amount in?
If so, how much?
I fill up with £10 of petrol and the range is 106 miles. Then I do about eighteen to twenty miles. Then the range is 56 miles Then the low fuel warning light comes on.

Being an old car I do not know if the 56 miles of range us accurate so I fill up again with another £10 of petrol.

So the 50 miles of range has been used up in 18 to 20 miles.

·
Registered
Espace 2.0 dci dynamiq 6 speed manual / 1996 Honda Blackbird CBR 1100 XX
82 Posts
Somewhere on the dashboard menu will be an average mpg. This is far more accurate than your £ 10 method. The only other way is to fill the fuel tank then drive at least 100 miles then refuel again. This will give you a realistic mpg. HTH.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,841 Posts
Sorry but you will never get a decent estimate of fuel consumption that way.
The car is simply working on a guess at how much fuel and a guess on average consumption.

Only true way is to fill to brim and calculate from mileage between fill ups.

Car will not give you a true(ish) estimate without a significant fill up and reset trip mileage.

After that it is whether your type of journey and MPG seem to match.
If only putting in £10 a time, I suspect short journeys so would not be surprised if mileage was less then 30mpg.
If in stop start traffic when cold, even as low as 20 would not overly surprise.

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
578 Posts
Sorry but you will never get a decent estimate of fuel consumption that way.
The car is simply working on a guess at how much fuel and a guess on average consumption.

Only true way is to fill to brim and calculate from mileage between fill ups.

Car will not give you a true(ish) estimate without a significant fill up and reset trip mileage.

After that it is whether your type of journey and MPG seem to match.
If only putting in £10 a time, I suspect short journeys so would not be surprised if mileage was less then 30mpg.
If in stop start traffic when cold, even as low as 20 would not overly surprise.
You do realise that for £10 you are probably getting 1 1/2 gallons , anno that you should be getting more than your 18 miles but i have found im at the fuel pump more lately and its only gonna get worse !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts