Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just thought I would say hello.

This is the first Renault I have ever owned and I must say I'm very impressed.

Its an 02 plate Megane Fidji 1.9 DCI. It has full service history, but has alot of miles 119000 on the clock.

Its not due a service until 125000 miles, but I wanted to know if there is anything I should do to it now to help prolong engine life? It has had new injectors, glowplugs and a reconditioned Turbo already. Would it be worth changing the oil and filter, if so what do you reccomend? Is there any good fuel or oil additives that I could put in the tank or engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Sam - the 18000 mile service intervals as recommended by renault are much too long - this is the opinion of most mechanics. It is better if the oil and filters are changed every 9,000 miles or each year which ever comes first. This is accepted good preventative maintenance. You could also try using a good fuel additive every 5 fill ups or so as this helps keep the system clean.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and very quick response!

A good additive like redex? Or something else? What oil do you reccomend, and what filter?

I'm used to waiting days for a response as I used to drive a Scimitar!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just called Renault to see if they have the oil filter in, and asked them about the oil I should use.

They said a 10w/40 Semi Synthetic should be used.

Kwik Fit said the same when I asked them.

Would the 5w/40 be too thin?

Dont want to put the wrong stuff in.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Sam the 10/40 semi-synthetis will do but if you can afford it go for the fully synthetic 10/40 as it is better for the engine and tends to last longer will less gung build up.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts