Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,257 Posts
That link seems to ask you to register/sign in before you can read the article.
No doubt Hondo you are a fully subscribed reader of the FT ;):d

No FT ..... No Comment :rolleyes:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That link seems to ask you to register/sign in before you can read the article.
No doubt Hondo you are a fully subscribed reader of the FT ;):d

No FT ..... No Comment :rolleyes:
How odd first time around the link worked ok here, but not now, the high Volkswagen emissions must have bu55ered it up.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm!!! a car manufacturer telling porkies whatever next:eek:
Ahh yes, but being found out with your kegs down, & costing $18Bn dollars + whatever if any, loss of customer faith is a bl00dy big porkie to be caught out on, what a risk to take :crazy:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,482 Posts
They have had a bloody good run,,,knew what they were doing and conned people ,jail them ,,

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
I still want to know what the software worked on to fiddle the settings during emission tests.

If they are talking about normal type tests for fuel consumption and emission figures, VAG aren't alone, there isn't a car on the road that achieves the advertising figures.

But the story reads as though the software is clever enough to fiddle MOT type emission checks. Which happen in countless garages, every day.
Which makes it damn clever software.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Image the outcry if the MPG were 1/40th of what they advertise a 1 or 2 MPG car doesn't sound all that appealing

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
Yup
But they are talking about 1/40 of real time Nox levels when tested.
Nox comes from unburnt fuel and is reduced by the EGR letting exhaust back into engine for a reburn.

So I suspect most diesels will show a very low Nox level if the EGR is open during the test while far higher ones with foot hard down and EGR firmly shut.
It's one of those con items we are stuck with on motors due to emission control laws.

But the question remains, was this a fiddled test car or software in general use ?

·
38,482 Posts
Must be some one from U S A on here could tell us if they plug into the diagnostic socket to do a mot ,As something must trigger the software

·
38,482 Posts
Looks like The green guys are going to have a field day with this ,,,What about all the zones in London that charge if to much emissions, will they get involved as been robbing them for years:devil:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The story rumbles on.

I was talking to a Guy last night with an 18 month old Audi, he's expecting a good bung in compo.

I said never mind you!! What will the poor :censored: get who follow you & breathe the s**t your car's been pushing out??? :mad: That terminated the conversation very abruptly

US owners feel 'betrayed' by VW, vow to ditch cars

After nearly 20 years as a loyal Volkswagen (Other OTC: VLKAF - news) customer, Bob Merlis is among scores of Americans determined to get rid of their cars after the German automaker admitted it cheated in emission tests.

"I just feel completely betrayed," the elegant Californian in his 60s said as he sat at the wheel of a diesel-powered Jetta he bought two years ago.

"I was attracted to it because of the environmental aspect of it, being 'clean,'" he told AFP.

"You know, they say if it's too good to be true, it can't be true, and that's the case: to have a car with great mileage, and strong performance, and that meets our clean air standards."

According to US authorities, VW has admitted that it equipped about 482,000 cars in the United States with sophisticated software that covertly turns off pollution controls when the car is being driven.

It (Other OTC: ITGL - news) turns them on only when it detects that the vehicle is undergoing an emissions test.

With the so-called "defeat device" deactivated, the car can spew pollutant gases into the air, including nitrogen oxide, in amounts as much as 40 times higher than emissions standards, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-owners-feel-betrayed-vw-195620917.html#kQZP8i3

1 - 20 of 78 Posts