Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This outlines the new rules that are being introduced next year,and if you read it carefully it will strike fear into any Laguna 2 owner if the TPMS is showing a fault.......

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT - Issue 50 - May 2011.pdf

I really,really do urge everyone to read this issue and take notice of the changes that are proposed for next year.If you have a niggling fault with an airbag/tyre pressure monitor/engine management light then now is the time to sell your car.......

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And reading through the proposed rules myself properly,they are going to cause mayhem.....

I'm glad I stopped testing a couple of years ago,but I still have to present vehicles for their tests which going to be a nightmare now.:eek:

G

·
So if you where to have all the TPMS's removed from the wheels and replaced with normal valves and have the system disabled where would stand with regards an MOT?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the system doesn't register a fault (i.e completely disabled) then thats fine,the way I read it is that if the SERV light is on and it's indicating a TPMS fault then thats a fail.It also looks like all the Clio 2's with electronic power steering on them with the light on the dash that stays illuminated will also fail.

I think I'll 'sticky' this thread as this has many new areas on it and if it all comes into force then we could have a lot of questions on it.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I don't see any direct reference to engine management warning lights or DPF warnings. I assume if the car passes its emission test all will be OK in that respect.

Yes it may make life more difficult at MOT testing time but the changes are very much safety orientated so in essence that's no bad thing.:)

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EML's are under consideration as far as I know,they aren't directly mentioned in this article though.Tuning boxes and remaps are also under discussion,how they will go about that one I'm not 100% sure though.

Some interesting times ahead for sure,it will be intriguing to see how all of this goes,VOSA doesn't have a good record when it comes to changing things.....:rolleyes:

·
Tourerman
2,224 Posts
Also, is it right that all after market xenon hid lights will also fail the mot if power washers and self levelling lights are not fitted?

G

·
I dont see that remaps should be an issue, as long as the car passes an emissions test, I dont see what the problem is.......unless of course its popping, banging and breathing fire

They may well struggle to police that one with the switchable boxes now available

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if it will all eventually be linked to the insurance data base and they will check if you have declared it to them.I think it's a little way off at the moment,but my guess would be that this is the way it's heading.

When the computer system was first introduced the testers were basically checking to see if the cars V5C was correct as we had to manually enter the chassis number etc,so the DVLA were getting their records checked for free,this could also be the case with the insurance database and they will basically get their records checked and anything out of the ordinary will be there for all to see.

That's all just my speculation,but there's enough evidence there to say it will happen if you read between the lines and think about all the things that have been introduced over the last few years.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I heard something mentioned about cars failing if the headlight washers don't work for the Xenon equipped models. In which case both my C5 and Laguna would fail - they don't work at all.

And most Laguna owners have got fed up with their tyre sensors and had them disabled already!

But surely one duff sensor and three tyres being monitored is better than a car with the system disabled and NO tyres being monitored!? - Which would pass!

Ridiculous, just ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I heard something mentioned about cars failing if the headlight washers don't work for the Xenon equipped models. In which case both my C5 and Laguna would fail - they don't work at all.

And most Laguna owners have got fed up with their tyre sensors and had them disabled already!

But surely one duff sensor and three tyres being monitored is better than a car with the system disabled and NO tyres being monitored!? - Which would pass!

Ridiculous, just ridiculous!
I think the view is that if a vehicle is fitted with a safety device then it should at least be in working condition. Not unlike the difference between vehicles that have or haven't ABS for instance.
And as MOT testers are not permitted to remove or interfere with any apsect of the car during testing thay have only warning signs to rely on.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My tyre sensors appear to have been disabled all together, ie there is no tyre symbols shown around the diagram on the display. From reading the article this would appear to be "legal" as there is no form of warning symbol being displayed? :confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
What on Earth?! Why are steering locks now testable?! What the f**k does that have to do with the safety of a vehicle?

Well, I'm glad I read that - now I know I'm going to fail on the fact that my N/S/R door is almost permanently locked and only opens from the inside most of the time. D'oh. More work :( Unfortunately, it's not even a mechanical problem that would be easy to fix, the UCH is just being moronic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My concern is going to be the TPS sensors. My Dash, amongst other things, displays 'Tyre Pressure Sensor Fault', but that's simply because the sensors have been removed and regular valves fitted, not because there is a cause for concern.

I've commented on early posts regarding this, and at that time was informed this issue would only affect vehicles which were first on the road after the start of 2012. Has that now changed and it's relevant to ANY car with a TPS system?

Quite frankly, and I don't want to offend anyone, but if my car was to fail for that reason it's B/S! That's just a money making sceme to get 'Average Joe' to pay through the nose for unecessary stuff, that's sod all to do with safety.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Out of interest, does VSI contain information relating to the specific specification level of the car presented, or the model as a whole? (e.g. would it indicate if a particular car presented for test was originally fitted with options like TPMS, ESP, TCS, etc?) Although I guess it's not that relevant if TPMS checks only apply to post 2011 cars (although this document doesn't imply that at all, it merely states 'if it's fitted'.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Although I guess it's not that relevant if TPMS checks only apply to post 2011 cars (although this document doesn't imply that at all, it merely states 'if it's fitted'.)
That's basically my question to whomever is doing the research on this, does the new rule on TPMS apply to all vehicles with a TPMS system, or just ones on the road from Jan 2012?

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Bah. If all else fails, I'll weld the back doors shut, take the back seats out and re-register it as a two seat van. :d

·
Registered
51 Posts
Read another post on the Pistonheads forum. They have info saying, like many newly introduced sections of the MOT, it won't apply retrospectively, only to new vehicles produced after the date the changes come into force.

There's a bit of hope for us yet then. Can anyone back that up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
From another thread on here, with similar concerns about the new proposed MOT testing criteria, there is a link to an MOT testing document labelled Jan 2012.

Further down in section 4 it explains the TMPS will only be relevant to vehicles 'first used on or after 1 January 2012'

I'm now breathing a sign of relief as this will mean mine, as well as any of the current owners on here, will not be affected by the TPMS MOT changes.

I do hope the document I've read is correct and doesn't get altered, here you go:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.