Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presenting.... My 'new' car (and third Lag in a row, I'm clearly a masochistic fool), 'Wacken' (WOA, it had to be!)

More details and pics to be added once I've reworked my way though the extensive list of electrical faults (and it's got... A lot of electrics :() and given it a good clean :)

I thought as I'd only posted one photo of 'Hugo' on here, it'd also be a fitting farewell as he's off to the scrapper this week. Not really much wrong with him aside from the fact we lost half the gearbox oil and the wishbones (with knackered balljoints) are permanently (at least with my tools and no ramp) lodged in the subframe. But that's the way old cars are now :( Not worth fixing (or at least not worth paying somebody else to fix)!

If anybody wants any bits, give me a shout as it'll probably be around 'till at least Thursday. I'll be selling off the Aries alloys, as being a 4-stud fitment they won't go on the Lag II, nearly new tyres too. Gah! I'l pull at least the whole new exhaust system to sell on, along with the unfitted wishbones I bought.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
:eek:

An early Lag 2...........Az,you should know better.:d

Good luck with it,sorry to see that Hugo is going.I guess the wishbone bolts are seized into the bushes are they?.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts

You never know, the early Lag 2's may actually be more reliable than the latter Lag 2 phase 1's, well they didnt get any better.. :rofl:

What model is Wacken and also what engine Az ?

Looking forward to more pics !

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good luck with it,sorry to see that Hugo is going.I guess the wishbone bolts are seized into the bushes are they?.
Nah, we got all the bolts out on the N/S, and the wishbone freed off the hub carrier, but it was lodged in by its rubber at the rear in the subframe... There's no access at the back to knock it out forward, and because its a rubber bush and because of the shape of the front of the subframe, it just seemed impossible to get out despite seeming completely 'free'. After spending 2 months worth of days off hammering away at various things on that car, I'm just sick of it, sadly. Although Hugo looks a lot better than the white estate I had before, and the engine runs very sweetly, all the running gear, subframes, etc are quite rusty like it's been left parked in a field for months and every job on it is consequently an absolute nightmare.

The new Lag (as per updated sig) is a 1.8 Expression (no, I'm not quite foolish enough to buy a dCi!) - I guess its had a new bumper at some point as it should have foglights (and has the switch for it) but its not exactly a priority right now :)

Thanks very much to bobbybrown for getting me back on the road :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Lag 2s are very different to drive to Lag 1s... I'm still a bit shellshocked. By my standards, the petrol Lag 1 was a very quiet car, but the petrol Lag 2 is on another level... Does it have an engine? Or wheels? Is it hovering? I can't remember my dad's old dCi being this quiet, but then it was diesel, and did have 180k miles on it!

I don't know if it's just me getting used to driving a modern(ish) car, but the clutch is very light and lacking feel on this car (I've never driven anything that didn't have a cable-operated clutch far or in stop-start traffic before), which combined with getting used to a fly-by-wire throttle and the fact that it's all in a very quiet car with a lot less noticeable grumble from the engine when its worked hard mean I keep stalling it at the moment. Rather embarrassing, I'm also utterly convinced that it's much bigger than the Lag 1 and won't go for gaps and struggle with parking in places I'd whip the Lag 1 into without thinking... It's all psychological, but I'll get there in a few days :p

One thing I do like _very_ much is the variable PAS. It works wonders 'cause you can really fling the car about round town and when parking without much effort, but it's got a lot more weight and feel to it on the move than the Lag 1.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
I remember getting my Lag 2 after having my Lag 1 and thinking the same Az. How different there were to drive. To me the steering felt alot different, not sure I can remember in what respect, maybe the turn in didnt feel as good ? :think: Anyway I soon got used to it and that lovely ride comfort. :d

I agree on the clutch front, they are very light these days, which is no bad thing. The clutch on the Lag 1 I had used to make my leg hurt after being stuck in stop start traffic for a while. :crazy:

I do think the Lag 2 is a bit wider than the Lag 1 to be honest, not sure about length wise though.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anybody know if it's possible to set the time delay on the intermittent wipers on a Lag 2? I looked in the manual (goodness me, that's a first, I couldn't download PDFs from 'My Renault' for the Lag 1) and it seems to refer to the time delay ring on the right stalk like both My Lag 1s had...

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, and that is the weirdest electrical fault I've ever seen.

If you open the rear N/S door by itself, the hazard lights come on, and remain on for the duration of the door being open. The same occurs if you open the rear O/S door but only in combination with the front N/S door.

If it was a Citroen, I'd just assume that was how you were meant to turn the hazards on :p

Something tells me I'm going to be following the wiring diagrams in the back of the Haynes manual a lot for a while! And going on past experience with the Lag 1s, they don't match up with what's in the car in the slightest anyway :d

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Does anybody know if it's possible to set the time delay on the intermittent wipers on a Lag 2? I looked in the manual (goodness me, that's a first, I couldn't download PDFs from 'My Renault' for the Lag 1) and it seems to refer to the time delay ring on the right stalk like both My Lag 1s had...
Does the car have auto wipers ? If it does then I dont think you can. If not, Is there not a ring that you can twist on the wiper stalk to change the delay like their was on a Lag 1 ?

The Lag 2 I used to have had auto wipers, which were annoying to the say the least. I much prefered the setup as on the Lag 1.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the car have auto wipers ? If it does then I dont think you can. If not, Is there not a ring that you can twist on the wiper stalk to change the delay like their was on a Lag 1 ?

The Lag 2 I used to have had auto wipers, which were annoying to the say the least. I much prefered the setup as on the Lag 1.
Hmm, maybe it has auto wipers then? At the moment, engaging position 1 seems to have the same (ish) effect as the slowest intermittent setting on the Lag 1...

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
If it has auto wipers then it will have a little window in the middle of the front windcreen. Does it have that ?

TBH Im Not sure what came as standard on the Expression model. I dont think its the base model youv'e got, I think thats the "Authentique" ??

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it has auto wipers then it will have a little window in the middle of the front windcreen. Does it have that ?

TBH Im Not sure what came as standard on the Expression model. I dont think its the base model youv'e got, I think thats the "Authentique" ??
Actually, I think I just went mad. I got into the car in the daylight today, and it appears to have exactly the same wiper stalk (with the switchable intermittent speed) as the Lag 1s... Oops :eek:

Now, I have a feeling the electronic problems on this car all stem from a faulty earth somewhere... I think I'll find every earthing point on every ECU in the car and clean them all up, plus the engine bay and rear body ones. I don't know the radio code though, so I'm hesitant to do anything at the moment :( Meh, I guess it's an excuse to upgrade the HU to a Cabasse unit. I don't really want to put the Kenwood HU from the Lag 1 in it, even if it does loads more, OEM stereo + Parrot Kit + Aux interface seems to be the way to go else I'll lose the auto volume and stereo display. I need to get an actual paper copy of the Haynes manual too, 'cause reading a PDF on my phone screen is just awkward.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nuu! Why are the speakers 5.25" on the Lag 2?! My poor 6.5" components :(

Mind you, the factory setup on the Lag 2 sounds better than my speakers + HU in the Lag 1 anyway...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll send you the radio code on Thursday and yes, the electrical faults are all due to a faulty earth somewhere, its just finding it is easier said than done!

It doesn't have auto wipers and you change the speed with the ring on the stalk.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll send you the radio code on Thursday and yes, the electrical faults are all due to a faulty earth somewhere, its just finding it is easier said than done!

It doesn't have auto wipers and you change the speed with the ring on the stalk.

Hope that helps a little.
Bump :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didnt get chance to dig it out on Thursday, I'll get it for you as soon as I find five minutes :d
Cheers, I spent most of today stripping my stereo and wheels off Hugo, but I did manage to fix the non-working O/S brake light... Turns out the stupidly designed connector had got mangled and was shorting the brake light to earth :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts