Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

My Laguna 1 RT Sport has developed unpredictable handling. Drives fine upto 50mph then the car decides to wander. It feels just like overtakeing a truck on a windy day, ie you have to suddenly correct your steering once you have passed the truck. I have recently changed the front springs engine and gearbox mounts. Can the subframe become loose?

Many thanks,

Pete:confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The main reasons for wandering on the steering is usually worn steering or suspension joints.Bottom joints,wishbone bushes,track rod ends and steering rack joints can all be a cause,as can having odd tyres on the front.

Have you checked all the joints,and when you replaced the springs were they new and of the same type?.Also,have you noticed any strange tyre wear indicating incorrect wheel alignment?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the tracking checked recently, no problems. Am I right in saying that the wishbone bushes can't be replaced, the whole wishbone needs replacing!! Are the bushes elsewhere a pig to change?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Powerflex bushes are excellent,but won't cure you handling problems by a discernable amount unless the bushes you have fitted at the moment are worn badly.

I've never changed the wishbone bushes on a Lag 1 so can't say if they're sods to change or not.

Just out of interest,what make tyres do you have on each corner?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Pirelli P3000's on the front and some cheapo Khumos on the rear.

An update today though, some new discs I ordered finally arrived (Courier ¤¤¤¤ up). Whilst refitting one of the callipers I noticed the thread had gone on the hub carrier which the caliper fixes to. One second hand one from the scrappy sorted that problem out. ;) The car seems a bit better now!!!

Maybe It's a case of gradual renewal of suspension parts, new tyres and steering parts.

Many thanks,

Pete.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Madnoel,

I recently replaced both front springs (one was broken) along with the strut bearings. I was thinking that the cause now could the rear subframe bushes. If these are shot this could be causing a rear wheel steering /crabbing effect.

Cheers all,

Pete.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Your prob seems to be speed related - could it be a faulty diff in the gear box or drive shaft - only thinking out loud.:confused:

P.S wher the top bearing new or second hand

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Interesting point about the driveshaft, I presume you mean the gearbox end? The bearings and springs were brand new from Renault.

The car (RT Sport) was bought for peanuts and came with 9 months MOT and 6 months tax. New cambelt and the bodywork is mint, superb in metallic black. Shame that it's only a 1.8 8v. Its all show and not quite go :eek: Anyway my wallet is a bit empty now, so I'll wait a bit to try these powerflex bushes. It can't do any harm.

Pete.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts