Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive Clio 1.2 Expression. After rainfall water collects in passenger side footwell and under rear seat squabs turning them into wet sponges. I've checked and cleaned the seals around the sun roof, doors, ariel, windows, boot and checked around the rear lights. With the rear seat cushions out and looking towards the back of the car, the water appears to be coming in around one of those nut type things with some sort of clamp over it, right hand side , furtherest away from you.(please excuse the non-technical definition) found by drying the area and dusting with talc. Can't find how it gets there though. HELP!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. Another member has had a similar problem. I believe he removed the nuts and used a poece of rubber as a washer when refitting them.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the rubber thing at the weekend. Regards... Ray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clio water ingress.

Hi all. I have a clio in the workshop that has been driving me mad. I have taken the sunroof out twice and have no doubt in my mind that I have sorted the leak from it. It was finally traced to the two roof "end caps" that the drain tubes connect to. I had to break the bond on them and re-seal them as the water was creeping past what only renault could describe as "sealed". What a poor job they did. I then reassembled and refitted the sunroof and water tested the car. Hurraahhh I said, Its fixed. Customer pays me money and gets car back. Everybodys happy? Not quite. I had a call a week later saying that the rear footwell on the drivers side was soaking wet. After a few well chosen expleatives, I got the car back last thursday but have not had time to get onto it. I then saw a post saying that it came in "through a nut type thingy with a cap on it" Does anyone have any idea where this nut type thing is? I would like to get to the bottom of this asap as the customer has my car!
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have finally discovered the source of my wet rear passenger footwell today. I had the usual sunroof leaks above the sun visor etc and fixed this 2 months ago by completely removing the sunroof, cleaning, stripping and resealing with black sikaflex sealent. However, after driving in heavy rain i noticed the underside of the rear passenger mat was wet. I removed the rear seat cushions, peeled the carpet back and felt that the fibre under matting was drenched. I neatly cut out a section with a stanley knife and left to dry. I tried the door seals, sunroof, rear light clusters but could not induce the leak again when parked up. I got my son to hose the underside of the car and hey presto ! Niagra Falls appeared. There is a metal plug / bung half covered by the black sound deadening material in the rear footwell and when hosed directly underneath, the puddles poured in. I am waiting for it to dry out and then remove / reaseal before refitting carpets again. I have phone pics of said annoying feature of anyone needs them, then message me.
Regards, Phil and his soon to be drier Clio.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Post your pics when you get the chance - it'll be of help to many.

Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
Found a wet patch in the front footwell today .. looks like it could be the same problem .. as as we had a rear-end shunt recently, it might have dislodged that sealing bung.

·
Stockport Platinum
3,899 Posts
Just clean the rubber bung and the area where it fit's with some degreaser and when it's dry put some sealant round the edge and refit then smear some more sealant round the edges on both sides and leave it to dry and within an hour the sealant should be dry enough to keep the wet out but wont be fully cured for at least 24 hours mate .

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's not what I thought.

The car has been standing unused for 24 hours in this ran and the driver and rear passenger foot wells are full of water so it's not coming in from underneath.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I sealed the underside but it's not that.

The car has been standing for 24 hours in this rain and the footwell is full of water front and rear.

I think I'll cut the mats out to try and see where it's coming from.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Hi Red Leader one.

As you are a new member your posts need to be approved by a moderator and unfortunately there has not been one on for a while.

Should be OK now

1 - 20 of 49 Posts