Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i hope someone can shed light on water sloshing about behind the dash on the passenger side.I also have water dripping into footwell! The fan sounds a bit dodgy too!
This maybe conected to the sunroof ? Has any body had this problem ? 03 senic

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there Philip and welcome to Renault Forums, if you click on the search button at the top of the page and type 'POND' you will find quite a few results for leaks, The main causes seem to be leaky aerial seals or drainage channels.
Regards leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Philip - check the drainage holes in the air intake for the heater also the pollen filter if fitted - what make and model is your motta:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
water inside car!!!!!!!!

I too suffered the dreaded pond in my scenic. After reading many threads on this forum I tried all the suggested remedies. I unblocked all four drainage channels and yes they were blocked but this didn't cure the problem! I cleaned up my sunroof channels, nope. Cleared my windscreen scuttle drains, alas no also. Thought I would check inside conections for drainage channels and ariel. I removed most of the headliner in the car and left a slow but steady hosepipe running on top of my car. I couldn't believe it when I spotted the smallest trickle in two spots at the top of my windscreen where the water was coming through. From here it runs along the headliner, down the side windscreen trims, to the back of the dash and into the footwell. I sealed the whole windscreen along the headliner with clear silicon and put the headliner back. I have removed and been air drying the foam from under the frount carpets for a week now they were soaked through I had to scoop out all of the water. We have had tonnes of rain in the week since I sealed the screen in fact it hasn't let up for a full day yet and so far BONE DRY!! All thats left now is to keep my fingers crossed and hope my post helps out someone who is also at the faulty towers stage of whipping their car with its ariel. lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that. I got a pint out of the passenger footwell after today's torrential rain! We are going to drive to Wales tomorrow - at least it is always dry there .....
The velour trim on the windsvreen pillar gets wet but no water the other side of the plastic under it, fizzing noise from teh air vent and squawk from passenger who is then paddling!

Phil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
water in car,

right mate to be blunt about it. get it checked out straight away as u could be looking at head gasket problems with the noises from fans, also check the colour of the water is it a rusty colour, if so dnt go far in it get head gasket fixed, always better to think the worst, it may be a heater matrix problem or like one of the other posts said water coming through the arial, thats a common fault as is the sunroof if u have one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts, the water is as clean as it is likely to be coming out of the carpet, so *should* not be related to the head gasket. It also appears to be rain related and the fizzing noise is the water being blown away from the duct. The pint was after yesterday's very heavy rain, after normal heavy rain it is much less. The dealer checked the sun roof area for me and failed to fix it, I will take a look at the ariel.

Phil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok mate im glad its not head gasket as iv seen that prob be4 with heaters making noise etc, ye if you take your roof lights and console out it should give you access to the arial.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks

Thanks both.

Does not seem to be coming in near the ariel. I have reseated the drain tube at the front left of the sunroof and it seems to be OK although there were some driops coming in from that area.

The major amount of water appeared to come in through the internal fan. I removed the pillar trim and pulled down the corner of the head liner. The rain in Gloucestershire tested it for me during the last few days! Only a few drips from tehre but the odd pint coming through the air vent which could not have got there from the sun roof.

I took the black plastic panels off from under the windscreen and tried to locate what I assume to be the scuttle drains. The passenger side one near the fan intake was blocked. I gave the whole area a good clean out so I am hopeful!

Regards,

Phil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Philip, just read you post on water slossing behind the dash, i to have this problem, did you ever find out what caused it? James

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Jimbo,

This was the odd thing .... the nice people at Renault had put a small note on a middling page of the manual that said to clean the seals around the sun roof. They did not look too bad, but when I went round them with a wet scourer (one of the green fibre scourers on the back of a dish washing foam pad NOT THE METAL KIND!!) I got off some dried up algae. There was not much, and it did not seem to be doing anything bad but that seemed to cure the problem.

Clearing out the scuttles just in front of the windscreen was worthwhile as well. Lots of leaves and detritus collected, inhibiting the water draining away.

Hope that helps,

Phil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts