Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other half has a 1991megane scenic. Recently I have noticed a white gunk in the power steering resivour and the water level in the coolant header tank low. I was wanting to find out what this problem is and how to resolve it please.

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi David the power steering fluid needs changing its at the end of its life and there's no way to link it with coolant loss cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi David the power steering fluid needs changing its at the end of its life and there's no way to link it with coolant loss cheers
Hi John thanks for that. Is it just a case of draining the resivour and renewing the fluid? What could be the loss of water issue,there does not appear to be any external leaks.

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
My guess for non obvious coolant loss is Water Pump.
When I did my first timing belt change on one of those (1998 Model) there was a "candle" of coolant coloured cr*p dried up on the water pump housing. It's well buried, so unless you have records showing a recent cam belt change, have it replaced ASAP. Cheaper than a new engine.
Could be poor servicing, but unlikely.
Water in PS tank, is condensation & as JBW says get it changed.

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi water when was it last checked or changed? the p/s same thing hydraulic oil don't last for everybody sounds like it's time for a good service all round.yes p/s drain it and refill while moving steering left to right to get the air out cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts