Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to forum.

I have Espace 2003 mk4

I noticed couple of days ago water under motor.

I investigated underneath and there is a small plastic flap allowing air to come out when blower motor is on but faster i turn up blower more water comes out in drips.

This dripping happens with and without air con switched on.

Any ideas - is it something to worry about and worst case scenario will ac stop working.

The main engine coolant level is fine.

Tom

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Tomhunter47, its condensation from the aircon system ... its normal .... check your handbook :)

You say it happens regardless of the aircon being off or on .... are you sure?
The A/C on the Espace IV is automatic and runs all the time the engine is running unless manually disabled ... check the A/C button on the door panel ... if the light is on or if the system is set to "Auto" then your air con is on and running, and you'll get the drips .... on very hot days it is quite a conciderable amount of water and on the older models you used to get lumps of frost droping to the ground.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Espace water drips

Thanks Truckbusuk

If you are correct you have made my day.

Can I ask if this is(condensation) water from the Air Con system and if so it must eventually drain the AC system - if that makes sense.

My Espace is not on auto AC I manually switch it to basic or mac AC mode, but I have only really used the AC this last few days and thus noticed the water.

Is there any checks I could do on my Espace to make sure.

What I will do today (not as warm though) run with no AC and expect not drips then run with AC on

Thanks for your help

regards

Tom

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Tom, the water comes from the condenser, and has nothing to do with the gas in the a/c system so dont worry it wont "run out" .... its the same principle as your windows steaming up at home .... warm air hits something cooler therefore condensation ... in your car the air is cooled and all the contaminates are removed, its the warm air on the cooling radiator (condenser) that causes the water drips ... it may well drip all the time as the system is pressurised so the condenser should always be colder than the ambient air, causing some drips, getting worse as the a/c switches off and on.

Modern climate systems like the Espace IV are very much more efficient than the old A/C systems (maybe 1 or 2 MPG at most) of the past and it wont hurt just to run the system all the time, that also keeps the seals lubricated and stops leaks and stops the musty smell from the mould that grows in the system if not used much.

hope it helps :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
To distinguish between engine coolant and condensate from the evaporator you should run the engine until it is hot. Carefully feel the drips and if it is hot then it is engine coolant. If cold then it is likely to be condensate from the a/c system. Don't taste it as it's poisonous or full of bacteria. Condensate will be from the bulkhead. Any drips around the condenser/radiator area will not be condensate. If you have rear a/c then you can get dripping at the rear sides of a vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts