Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have water leaking into my espace somewhere and I dont really know where to start looking.

As I drive I can hear water rushing from side to side as i turn corners & on tighter corners the water pours into the footwells.

I know its not the matrix as it only happens after a downpour of rain or just after I have washed the car.

The seal around the screen looks ok, but I cant be 100% sure its not comming in there.

Where would this water be rushing side to side in ? and what is the most likely place the water will be entering ?

thx

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi buy the sounds of things the water is moving about the foot wells from side to side and for the entry point it could be anywhere do you have a glass roof i would try there first and then slowly make my way down the doors and door posts and the then the front window.Under the front window there is a black trim where the wiper blades are there is water runaway ducts under this,are they filled with dirt.i hope this helps you all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
As per Donalds post above. You could also do a search for 'drain holes' if you have a sunroof, there's plenty of threads on this reocurring problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
water leaking

My 97 espase was leaking too, mine came in through the windscreen seal but I could never locate it despite putting sealent everywhere. A weel known windscreen company replaced it after it cracked and for the price of the insurance excess cured the problem

cc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys, I`ll try and get a closer look as soon as we get a dry day :steam:

The espace has no sunroof, so It must be screen, doors or somewhere around the vent holes under the wipers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had this same problem after much messing around i found it to be the seal on the back door , i used silicone and screws to hold the seal still , now 6 months on i havent got i bit of water!

hope this helps

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi AzCs, the bottom of the front door seals or the windscreen is a usual culprit on the Espace2 ....

But I'd check all the opening seals by giving them a through dry then rub them with talc and wash the car .... any water leaking through the seals will wash the talc away ... easy to spot when you open the door.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Wet footwells on my Mk1 lag were down to the plastic cover under the door liners coming away. my friend had water sloshing around in his Mk11 lag and it was in the doors as the drain plugs were blocked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got water sloshing round in the passenger door of my Lag II also. The door has a rubber drain plug on the underside, and I have to routinely drain the doors from water. I look like a prat if I'm seen doing this.

Surely the doors shouldn't accumulate water in the first place.........hence the fact that they need to be drained manually, rather than a drain point existing but getting blocked up.

Any ideas where the water is ingressing, so I can possibly prevent it from entering in the first place.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Babyboaty - if you look closely behind the rubber strip along the bottom of the door there are long slim elongated drainholes. Water runs out of mine all the time - all cars get water ingress via window surrounds etc - its just a question of letting the water out quicker than it comes in.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Babyboaty - if you look closely behind the rubber strip along the bottom of the door there are long slim elongated drainholes. Water runs out of mine all the time - all cars get water ingress via window surrounds etc - its just a question of letting the water out quicker than it comes in.:)
Well that would explain it, nice one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Prob With Megane II and sloved it!!

Hi not sure if this helps but had the same problem with my 2003 Megane.

Turned out to be the drain pipe from the climate control, which had come off. As a result all excess water as pooling in the foot wells. Ha been like it for several months judging by the amount found.

Was a pain to fix though as most of the dash had to be removed.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi, i dont know if its any help but i once had water coming in fromthe bulkhead through the heater system and running into the footwells .. its a total nightmare ...hope you get it sorted out soon :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Water in Espace footwells

Renault produce technical update notes for their cars. I've got these on the "Dialogys" discs you can buy from ebay. One referrs to a problem on some cars, basically a poorly sealed metal to metal join in the shell of the car that gets exposed when you remove the wing mirror panel. A leak here ends up with water running down inside the inner trim and wetting the footwells. Recks the radio if you have a car with the radio under the drivers seat. Fix is removing the wingmirror panel and using seam sealer (I recon silicone sealant would do) on this seam.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Re: Water in Espace footwells

Renault produce technical update notes for their cars. I've got these on the "Dialogys" discs you can buy from ebay. One referrs to a problem on some cars, basically a poorly sealed metal to metal join in the shell of the car that gets exposed when you remove the wing mirror panel. A leak here ends up with water running down inside the inner trim and wetting the footwells. Recks the radio if you have a car with the radio under the drivers seat. Fix is removing the wingmirror panel and using seam sealer (I recon silicone sealant would do) on this seam.
Just bought an Espace V6 with a non-working stereo. Surprise, surpise the drivers footwell is wet. I shall be sealing this gap very soon. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I seem to be having some similar problems with water. I had some work done on the car last week and the front driver and passangers plastic trim at the bottom of the door (like a scuff plate) were removed. There are troughs with electric cables in on both sides and they are both full of water. Also when the car is sat i find small puddles, mostly on the drivers side where it looks like water drips from the accelerator pedal. I am going to have a ferret about this weekend, taking a look with the mirrors off to see what i can see. The seal on the small window between the windscreen and drivers door seems to be sticking out a bit not sure if this would cause it, it has been like it since i bought the car but only seen water since it was sat for the last month :crazy:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts