Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Clio and have already removed and re-sealed the sunroof to rectify the foot bath (thanks to the information on this forum), however, when tilting the rear seats forward I noticed that there was a small amount of water under the seat base.
Looking at the aerial (rear roof mount) it would seem that the aerial base gasket is perished and split, but before I shell out for a new aerial from Renault (you can't just buy a new gasket :confused: ), can anyone confirm whether water leaking through the aerial base would end up under the rear seat?

Are there different styles of aerial base, because the one fitted to the car is longer/larger than a standard roof mount aerial?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
It may be possible to buy a gasket for the aerial base but why not try removing the aerial and sealing it with silicon sealant similar to that used in bathrooms etc.,

Have you checked the windscreen scuttle drains ain't blocked?:)

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
As Noel says, try sealing it with the bathroom stuff ;)

As for the water actually getting there from the aerial in the first instance, yes, it's possible. It could have travelled down the rear window supports, around the side of the boot and onto the rear seats....that's just one possible route ;)

Water has an uncanny knack of travelling in very bizarre ways!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers gents, I have already sealed the perished gasket to see if this solves the problem.

As the car is parked on an incline facing forwards I suspect the windscreen scuttle drains won't be the problem and as the front carpet is now drying out, the sunroof was definitely the cause of the foot spa!

madnoel - could you suggest where I may be able to buy the gasket as Renault say it isn't available as a separate item (but then they would, wouldn't they!)

Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, little update.

Sealing the aerial didn't resolve the problem so over the weekend I stripped out the rear trims to see if I could identify where the water was getting in. (I was starting to suspect the rear light cluster) However, once the trims were out, I noticed water marks originating at the small grommet in the channel between the light cluster and the tailgate rubber seal.

The grommet was loose and I noticed that one of the 'sprung' plastic retaining clips was strained/broken.

I cleaned up the area and fixed the grommet with a small dab of silicon.

I'll report back once I have confirmed that this is in fact the cause.

Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from my jollies, and over the last fortnight there have been a few days of heavy rain while the car's been stood on the drive.

Still no water under the seat, so I'm confident that the grommet was indeed the source of the water ingress. :lager:

Hope that helps others with the same problem.

Now, just need to sort the climate control!!

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, little update.

Sealing the aerial didn't resolve the problem so over the weekend I stripped out the rear trims to see if I could identify where the water was getting in. (I was starting to suspect the rear light cluster) However, once the trims were out, I noticed water marks originating at the small grommet in the channel between the light cluster and the tailgate rubber seal.

The grommet was loose and I noticed that one of the 'sprung' plastic retaining clips was strained/broken.

I cleaned up the area and fixed the grommet with a small dab of silicon.

I'll report back once I have confirmed that this is in fact the cause.

Andy
Technobod how did you get on? I too have a leak in my passenger side back seat; it seems to happen when my car is on an incline. I had to remove the carpet which covers the spare tyre, the cover which fits over the wheel arch and the plastic panel which fits over the internal locking mechanism in the boot of the car. Originally I thought it was coming from the grommet which was loose so i used silicone sealant but that didn't work then I thought it maybe the rear light cluster but it has nothing to do with that either. I've managed to trace it to a seal which is barely visible as you have to strain your neck round and inside the back internal panel but later realised the seal was just channeling the water down towards the back seat. It appears to be coming down the internal panel but I really can't fathom out where the original source could be. Whilst driving I can also hear water sloshing about which appears to be coming from the passenger side, yet passengers say they can hear it coming from the drivers side. Has anybody got any suggestions. I'm not that good with technical terminology but if I can be describe in simplistic terms I'll have a bloody good go at it. Cheers in anticipation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well today I removed my sunroof (amazed at how easy that is?) and poured water into the drainage holes to see if there was a blockage...nope water ran straight through and out underneath the back of the wheel arch as intended. Have poured water along the seal on the top of the car above the back passenger window and and also along the seal at the top of the actual window, no water appears in the boot??? Back to the drawing board :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Technobod how did you get on? I too have a leak in my passenger side back seat; it seems to happen when my car is on an incline. I had to remove the carpet which covers the spare tyre, the cover which fits over the wheel arch and the plastic panel which fits over the internal locking mechanism in the boot of the car. Originally I thought it was coming from the grommet which was loose so i used silicone sealant but that didn't work then I thought it maybe the rear light cluster but it has nothing to do with that either. I've managed to trace it to a seal which is barely visible as you have to strain your neck round and inside the back internal panel but later realised the seal was just channeling the water down towards the back seat. It appears to be coming down the internal panel but I really can't fathom out where the original source could be. Whilst driving I can also hear water sloshing about which appears to be coming from the passenger side, yet passengers say they can hear it coming from the drivers side. Has anybody got any suggestions. I'm not that good with technical terminology but if I can be describe in simplistic terms I'll have a bloody good go at it. Cheers in anticipation.
Since sealing the grommets, I've had no more water in the boot or under the back seat, so that was definitely the cause of my leak. I also get the sloshing water which I assume is accumulated rain water finding it's way to the sunroof drain channels (It's definitely not in the roof lining as I've checked). I think that if the sunroof's leaking, the water usually finds it's way into the front/rear footwells rather than under the rear seat, although I guess it could depending how you park the car.

As mine had been leaking for a while, I was able to trace the water back to it's source as it had dried and left water marks all along it's path, so that may be worth exploring.
Is your car a 3 or 5 door?

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Andy

It's a 3 door, the leak has been happening for a number of years, on and off then I realised it only happened if I parked my car on my slightly inclined driveway. I sealed the grommet on the passenger side first as I too thought it might be that. Then due to working full time my next resolution was to lift the back seat permanently and wipe with a towel when required. I can see the water mark up to a point but can't get my head round and up the cavity above the cluster of lights. I can get my hand up but not very far and can feel the water on the inside walls of the cavity. It's so frustrating but I won't be beat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy

It's a 3 door, the leak has been happening for a number of years, on and off then I realised it only happened if I parked my car on my slightly inclined driveway. I sealed the grommet on the passenger side first as I too thought it might be that. Then due to working full time my next resolution was to lift the back seat permanently and wipe with a towel when required. I can see the water mark up to a point but can't get my head round and up the cavity above the cluster of lights. I can get my hand up but not very far and can feel the water on the inside walls of the cavity. It's so frustrating but I won't be beat.
How much water is there? Could it be coming in through the aerial. I noticed that the seal/grommet around my aerial base was badly perished and ended up putting a dab of silicon around the hole in the roof just in case.
Bizarely, my sunroof only leaked when the car was on an incline facing downhill but the water always ended up in the footwell.
If you pull the rear hatch rubber seal off and pull the roof lining down a little and use a torch to take a look, can you see any water above the roof lining (or water marks). You may need to remove the roof mount seat belt mounting to see the passenger side.
You should also be able to see if there's any damp around the aerial base.

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.