Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

I've had enough with my sites being effectively "parked" on Yahoo at oh-god-how-much?! per month since Geocities fell, been meaning to get off them for a while. However I just haven't had much time to look into it properly other than scaring up a list of providers and SOME of what they offer (but no chances to look through). Could do with switching before the end of the week, when they're going to bumrape me for another $17 or whatever. I ain't exactly getting masses for my money.

I know there's a lot of good-ish stuff out there for FAR less ($10 equivalent a year?), just don't want to end up with a turkey. There's a coupla three things it'd be preferable to have (mainly carry-overs from Yahoo), as well as a good service level and a fair assurance they're not going to disappear into the ether all of a sudden.

So, if you have your own privately hosted site, and the host seems good, who are you with?

Things that count very highly in favour:
Multiple, properly seperate domain names - e.g. www.XYZ.com and www.QKP.org rather than www.XYZ.com/XYZ and www.XYZ.com/QKP or whatever. Three or more would be good, as I'm planning to have a professional looking one for my CV, portfolio etc, another completely unconneted personal one with silly ****, and a third will be devoted to sub-hosting FoC the site of a small charity I'm vaguely involved with and is having website (and money) issues.

Multiple user accounts with basic access controls - at least two, so someone from said charity can log on and edit their website if necessary without being able to get at mine, but I can also get into theirs should I need to (...or I just have both passwords, whatever).

Web-based uploading and file management. I'd like to be able to tweak it from work PCs and we don't have FTP clearance for our firewall.

Maybe some kind of simple HTML editor for chucking up fresh pages / tweaking the index.htm in a hurry (particularly from phone), but it's not vital as I can just do it in notepad most times.

Any kind of PHP, CSS, RSS, ASP, whatever. All those funny letters. I did learn to do basic PHP at one point and it could be good for a laugh or to make things look more pro. And style sheets are always a plus if you want to make things look slick... even though I suck at them, I know someone who doesn't. Maybe HTML forms?

A reasonable but non-epic amount of space and transfer, mainly so I can chuck photos on there and not have to pay seperately for Flickr / Picasa premium accounts. I'm not exactly starting the next Youtube or anything, actual random views from anyone who I haven't specifically sent there will probably be quite low. I doubt even the charity part will be THAT highly trafficked.

Email addresses (one address per domain at least, and preferably 2 or more mailboxes) with POP3 and maybe web access.

Being one of the ones I've already looked at :)

Being significantly cheaper than Yahoo!

Oh, and don't worry, I'm not after a personal army of researchers or whatever. Just personal accounts from those who have hosted sites or know someone with one, that's fine.

Cheers :D

NB: ... ok ... I'll admit ... I've cut and pasted from asking elsewhere after being disappointed ... time's quite tight on this but I reckon I've got 24, 36, maybe 48 hours before they charge me again. So any quickie pointers would be much appreciated!

·
Administrator
13,230 Posts
Apparently streamline.net is good. According to my brother who has a website hosted by them!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Apparently streamline.net is good. According to my brother who has a website hosted by them!
That's who I've used for the last 5.5 years without a hitch, for my business.

Paul

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool ... will give 'em a look as it's the only direct recommendation I've had!

found a couple older threads (at last) where I originally posted this (still didn't get any replies) with other reccomendations in but will check streamline first. only other place anyone has said to me is godaddy (who i don't think have the right domains / enough of them on an affordable account?) and 1and1... who are certainly cost effective if nothing else.

Pat, thanks for that suggestion, but i'm done with trusting free sites for the time being. Maybe 5 years ago I'd have given it a fling, assuming I was disillusioned enough with Y!GC by that point.

It does seem that you get what you pay for, and once they're bored of barely meeting their own costs with masses of inline ads, you'll be e-homeless with very little warning. You're not paying them after all, so the service can be withdrawn *snap* like that, and the customer support is rubbish. Google are king rat right now, but Yahoo were in that position when I signed up with them (or to be precise, Geocities were - then were bought out by Y! to make super-king-rat, briefly). No reason to assume someone else won't have caused another massive paradigm shift and ground them into the dirt in less than 10 years' time. Besides, probably need more options than what they provide. Picasa integration or whatever would be nice, but only if you get an expanded album vs the default, which is pretty paltry.

I know paid hosts can evaporate as well, but that's why I'm after one who seems fairly solid. If their actual business is taking a little cash off a lot of people for a small but guaranteed slice of the interweb which grants more flexibility than a social network account, they should be a bit more stable.

(May as well dump the other ones I've been seeing about here as well, if someone else looks it up in future...

Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/webhosting/product-and-pricing/product-specification
Fastvision: http://www.fastvision.com/Hosting.fvnx
don't know any details about them yet but it was in response to someone asking with requirements FAR in advance of my own...

http://billing.tsohost.co.uk/aff.php?aff=750
£15 a year and apparently "never heard any complaints" being the judgement from a couple of folks

one.com at upto £3.60 pcm (still way cheaper than yahoo) with FTP & "JAlbums" whatever that is.

"Zen" ???

http://www.hostingforaquid.co.uk/ <<< lol maybe worth a look? tech support is apparently rubbish tho

http://www.hostroute.co.uk/ apparently quite professional

ditto http://www.lincwebhosting.co.uk/

"Dreamhost" which can be $10 for the first year if you find the right online voucher. Accepts Joomla sites... again whatever they are. Sounds like some easy website builder.
Possibly in conjunction with Planetdomain - buy the name(s) seperately then point them to the Dreamhost (or other host) IP which offers a little more security in case they either go bust, or start to screw you over and won't release the domain.

And apparently if I can stretch to 500mb-1Gb space and 1-2Gb per month transfer I can have my own forum... for like, i dunno, discussing safetypins or something?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts