Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have noticed over the past few days a strange noise like a humming sound, it appears to be coming from the rear of the car when I get to approx 40-50 mph+. Thinking either exhaust, but this sounds fine when reving stationary, or maybe bearings?? Any ideas would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks

·
Administrator
13,232 Posts
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me! Especially if it comes and goes according to speed! The bearings for the back wheels of the megane come as a sealed unit in the brake discs so the whole thing needs changed! Each one cost bout £60! :( Well they do for my car!

·
Administrator
13,232 Posts
Its an easy job to do yourself! You just need a bit of time and I would advise doing both the back ones at the same time! Its more for the brake discs than the bearings. You might be able to tell if its a bearing by jacking the car up and checking if there is any movement when you wiggle the tyre towards and away from you... if that makes sense! :p:d Most of the time anyway! :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am getting the bearings done tomorrow, cost, £170! :( I guess I could have had a go myself, but as I need the car daily and travel in excess of 70 miles a day, thought best to get done by a mechanic. I did look around on here at people who had done it themselves, and it looked fairly straight forward, but I dont really have all the tools. The cost of getting the parts is not that much less as well, but at least it will get done, even though I could have done without it, cost wise, and having only had the car 2 1/2 weeks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts