Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Laguna II Estate, whilst driving in gears 1-4 no problem however whilst accelerating gently up a hill the engine revs increased whilst my speed remained the same.

Attempts to make the clutch slip(?) in gears 1-4 resulted in no issues and parked with the handbreak on the engine would stall rather than slip the clutch.

Any idea if this is a clutch replacement job or, is there something else that would cause these symptoms?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello,

That does sound like the clutch is beginning to slip. it might not slip while driving in 1-4 as the gear ratio means it will move the car rather than slip, and it may pass a stall test depending which gear you tested it in. It may have slipped going up the hill as you were probably in a high gear and the engine would have been developing more torque. besides 131k out of a clutch isn't bad really. Not sure how much these cost, not had mine done yet.

best of luck

Murchin.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Sorry about the mileage mixup, i'd read another one with that mileage on. Lets hope you havent got a more serious problem then, slipping can also be caused by oil leaks, but I dont know how prone to leaks these engines are.

Best of luck

Murchin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mind did this at around 53K miles. Got so bad I booked it in to have the cluch replaced. Then it just stopped happening:crazy: & I cancelled the cluch job. That was 18 months & 40K ago!
No hint of a problem since. Can't help with a cure as mine self repaired but it may be worth checking if there is auto wear adj mechanism that might be playing up

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
You will have a "Dual Mass" clutch fitted and these have been a problem for Renault.
Some were replaced under warranty due to apparent slip under load in high gear. Its not an easy diagnosis and sometimes replacing the clutch kit doesn't cure the problem cos the new assembly is faulty at new..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well another day of driving and I've tried to provoke the problem in gears 1 -4 by accelerating quite hard up hills but still no sign of slip in these gears, it only happens in 5th (not tried 6th gear) under load when the engine revs are over 2000rpm i.e. roughly when the turbo starts to kick in.

Plan of action is to keep driving it (normally) and see what happens, the thought of spending a load of cash at this point in time is a bit annoying, just spent £300 on cambelt replacement and I've now noted noise form the rear suspension (suspect bushes need replacing on near side as it looks like one has come away from its cup when the car is jacked up):mad: .

So the bad news is the possibility of spending a grand to keep this car on the road:steam:

This is the most expensive car I've owned to date, I sometimes wonder if Renault built them to keep their servicing department in permanent business!!:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts