Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a Renault Clio Campus (no sunroof) and have experienced a wet passenger footwell whenever it rains. I have checked the scuttle drains, all clear no blockage, I don't have a sunroof so theres no leak from there. I have also been in the car whilst it's raining and looked up underneath the glovebox and its dry as a bone.

By process of elimination this leads me to think its the door seals. Can anyone shed some light on how I would go about fixing this? I have attached pictures of the problem above.

I have sat in the car and watched it trickle in from this area of the door seal.

Many thanks in advance :wink2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
It won't be leaking from there, the water would have to come up from the bottom of the door. It must be leaking further up and running down that channel on the rubber and collecting at the bottom. More photo's of the rest of the door seal would be useful.

Also, on my Laguna I had a drain hole in the bottom of one of my rear doors. Water was coming in via the window seal, which is no problem usually because it will drain straight out of the bottom. But when the hole blocked the water built up in the door to the point I could hear it slosh around when I opened and closed the door. It would have eventually reached high enough to get of the door via the door cards etc. So this is one to look out for, but I would be certain about the door seal first. But if there are any drain holes or plugs at the bottom of the door, give them a check while you're there or pull one out just in case. If a bunch of water comes out it might be collecting at the bottom of the door and coming out around your speaker behind the door card.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,393 Posts
Like what everyone else has said, there are drain holes on the bottom of the door, not holes a such, but slits, looks like where the outer skin of the door folds under and has not been properly sealed in acouple of places, make sure the bottom of the door is really clean, if these drain holes are blocked, water will run into the door from the outside window seal and instead of draining through the holes to the outside of the door seal, the door fills up and drains into the car through the bottom of the door card. An "easy" way to find out if this is the problem is to remove the door card and feel inside the door at the bottom, you may feel puddles or very wet mud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like what everyone else has said, there are drain holes on the bottom of the door, not holes a such, but slits, looks like where the outer skin of the door folds under and has not been properly sealed in acouple of places, make sure the bottom of the door is really clean, if these drain holes are blocked, water will run into the door from the outside window seal and instead of draining through the holes to the outside of the door seal, the door fills up and drains into the car through the bottom of the door card. An "easy" way to find out if this is the problem is to remove the door card and feel inside the door at the bottom, you may feel puddles or very wet mud.
The inside of my door card was all wet, and the bottom 'well' of the door was wet too (I see the drain holes now, which are clear) so I suppose water can go inside the door like that.

I have attached pictures.

So I know where the water is collating, but why isn't it leaving the door through the clear door drain! Its obviously getting into the car at the seal, via the drain in the door nearest the engine. But how, please help guys

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't be leaking from there, the water would have to come up from the bottom of the door. It must be leaking further up and running down that channel on the rubber and collecting at the bottom. More photo's of the rest of the door seal would be useful.

Also, on my Laguna I had a drain hole in the bottom of one of my rear doors. Water was coming in via the window seal, which is no problem usually because it will drain straight out of the bottom. But when the hole blocked the water built up in the door to the point I could hear it slosh around when I opened and closed the door. It would have eventually reached high enough to get of the door via the door cards etc. So this is one to look out for, but I would be certain about the door seal first. But if there are any drain holes or plugs at the bottom of the door, give them a check while you're there or pull one out just in case. If a bunch of water comes out it might be collecting at the bottom of the door and coming out around your speaker behind the door card.
I have taken the door card off, the parts that are mainly wet is the opposite side to the speaker, (shown in pictures above)
Still have no clue whats going on, also theres this gummy stuff, do I need to replace this when putting the card back on?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have taken the door card off, the parts that are mainly wet is the opposite side to the speaker, (shown in pictures above)
Still have no clue whats going on, also theres this gummy stuff, do I need to replace this when putting the card back on?
It's wet mainly on that side because the rain runs down the window outside and some gets past the seal on the outside and ends up on the inside of your door. Obviously it is escaping through the drain which is good, but I would say you might have excessive amounts of water getting past the seal on the outside of the window and it's possibly dripping and then splashing over to the speaker side and out through the bottom of the door card.

It would be worth getting a better look at the windows seals from the outside of the door. The bit up against the bottom of the glass + the ends of the same seal where it's not against the glass, make sure the seal isn't curling up and it is clipped to the body work propery. On the edge of the glass, is the glass still sitting nicely in the side seal?

If it was me I would use a knife blade and/or a plastic scraper and run them under the seal around the edges of the glass to make sure there is nothing wedged in there which is holding the seal away from the glass. I have to do this very thoroughly when I'm tinting windows and I find all sorts of moss, mould, grit, sand, bird turd and so on...

I'm not 100% familiar with your car, but you do have any of those little quarter windows in that door? That seal needs checking too.

Watch how this guy does it, obviously you need to do it on the outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trying puring some water while you've got it apart and see if you can just see where it's coming from.
I did just that, Its literally pouring through via the seal where the window meets the wingmirror at a corner. I have no idea as to why because all the seals seem fine, no tears or anything.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I did just that, Its literally pouring through via the seal where the window meets the wingmirror at a corner. I have no idea as to why because all the seals seem fine, no tears or anything.
Well done, you're progressing any way, at least you know where it's coming from. Have you got the mirror off the car? The seal for it might be wet when you take it off, it might give you an idea of where it's getting through.

Maybe there is something missing that is not obvious. Might be worth checking the mirror on the other side to see if it has an extra gasket, or clip or something.

If you take photo's as you go, someone might see something you missed or something that should be there that you don't know about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well done, you're progressing any way, at least you know where it's coming from. Have you got the mirror off the car? The seal for it might be wet when you take it off, it might give you an idea of where it's getting through.

Maybe there is something missing that is not obvious. Might be worth checking the mirror on the other side to see if it has an extra gasket, or clip or something.

If you take photo's as you go, someone might see something you missed or something that should be there that you don't know about.
Okay, I have two drips in the door when I put water on the window. One drip is by the end of the door, making the end of the door card wet. The other drip is by the handle/speaker end of the door.

Both these drips accumulate and leak between the door card and the door (eventhough there was mastic/sealant there). This obviously leaks into the passenger footwell from there.

This video describes exactly what I am dealing with: https://youtu.be/C3b5jFRGlqE?t=6">https://youtu.be/C3b5jFRGlqE?t=6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

https://youtu.be/C3b5jFRGlqE?t=6

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Wow, that's a cracking leak isn't it. I must where you're holding the hose pipe some where.

but if you point your camera upwards while you're inside the door you might see it's actually coming through. You might not see it with the naked eye but the camera might catch it for you. You almost got it a couple of time, but not quite.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
@31/32 seconds on your video, there is a steel bar in an upright position. I think that's the bottom of the window runner. Is that secure? It should be fixed solid so the window slides up and down in it but the window shouldn't move around.

Does the window feel tight when your winding it up/down? There's no wriggle from side to side?

On the outside of the car, along the bottom of the window you can see the seal. That comes off by gently levering it upwards the same direction as the window goes. Lever it with something plastic so it doesn't scratch paint. Only lever a little bit at one end, lift it a half inch then move along a coupe of inches and lift the next bit a half inch. Repeat and it will pop up after a couple of tries. DO NOT BEND IT AT ALL. just lever it a little at a time and then you feel it go slack as you work your way along..

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
There's probably only a couple of nuts holding the side mirror on, they will behind that white cover where the wire goes. So you can check the seal behind the mirror.

You're in the right place, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't say if it feels tight or not when I wind it up/down because its electric. Also why do you suggest taking the window seal off?

I took the mirror off and concluded its definitely a seal in that corner that must be ruined/not fitting properly. The door card has been put back on because its getting dark now.

If I know the area of the leak, and that the leak is coming in through the door card, would you suggest I just take it to a garage. (I obviously want to fix this myself but if its a seal gone then I can't really do much). Obviously if I've located the leak then that takes some man hours off of my bill from the garage right?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Hey, cool, if you're confident you've found it then awesome. I thought we were still looking. It will definitely reduce your bill if you can tell them where the issue is. The thing is, if you've taken the mirror off once, you can probably fix it yourself. What is the garage going to do? Either replace the seal (which may or may not be available seperately from the whole mirror unit) or use some silicone sealer. If you end up using silicone sealer I personally would use silicone 'adhesive', it's a real thing, different from sealer. Does the same job as sealer but is a really good glue too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-sticks-like-sh-t-clear-290ml/57252

That's all the garage is going to do.

You can get that in clear, white or black. Although I think black is a few extra £

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, cool, if you're confident you've found it then awesome. I thought we were still looking. It will definitely reduce your bill if you can tell them where the issue is. The thing is, if you've taken the mirror off once, you can probably fix it yourself. What is the garage going to do? Either replace the seal (which may or may not be available seperately from the whole mirror unit) or use some silicone sealer. If you end up using silicone sealer I personally would use silicone 'adhesive', it's a real thing, different from sealer. Does the same job as sealer but is a really good glue too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-sticks-like-sh-t-clear-290ml/57252

That's all the garage is going to do.

You can get that in clear, white or black. Although I think black is a few extra £

I don't know if I've specifically found the leak, however this is my best guess after about 4 hours of looking around and getting frustrated. I have attached an image of the passenger side mirror/window corner area (picture with the stones in the background) where I think the leak is coming from, and also an image of the drivers side which has no leak. I can't spot a difference to be honest even after taking the drivers side wing mirror off.

Also could you explain what you would do with this silicone sealer? The seal with the window surely can't be sealer as the window has to be able to move surely. And the wing mirror seal looks like a sort of foam.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I was thinking you might need it to seal behind the side mirror with the silicone, there are holes behind there. I would be putting it on both sides of the 'foam' things you described so it's stuck to the mirror on one side and stuck to the car door (not the glass) on the other side. If that foam is not sitting tight against the back of the mirror water could come in where the wire goes through the door, so you seal around the O in the foam where the wire goes through. Those foam things can sit pretty awkwardly some times.

But honestly, having now seen the photo's, those glass seals need a good clean my friend, as previously described. Look at them, there's green moss growing in there. That stuff will grow and will lift the seal off the glass, seriously. They need a blade running down the glass and they need a scrub with running water to wash the moss away, just like in the video I attached earlier, or with a tooth brush or something similar. I'm sorry if it doesn't solve your current issue and you waste more time but if you take it to a garage a bit of cleaning becomes expensive and it should be something they do to eliminate it as the cause of the leak.

You're not necessarily going to find a big visible gap that you can stick your finger in to see if the leak stops, it's going to be tiny break in a seal that might not be obvious. So clean the seal surfaces and then silcone anything you can that's out of sight behind the mirror. Or take it to a garage and see what they say, at least you can tell them it's happening some where around the area of the mirror.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah sorry about the condition of the seals, I haven't had a chance to give the car a good clean yet. I'll keep this post updated, it needs a service asap so I'll tell them the situation when I bring the car into a garage.
Thanks for your quick responses today however, much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts