Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Yeah sorry about the condition of the seals
No ned to apologise about your car mate. I'm not a teacher, all i'm doing is telling you what I know and what I've experienced myself, you can use some or all of it, it' up to you. If it saves you a bit of cash along the way, that's great too.

Let us know how you get on, so our knowledge grows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was thinking you might need it to seal behind the side mirror with the silicone, there are holes behind there. I would be putting it on both sides of the 'foam' things you described so it's stuck to the mirror on one side and stuck to the car door (not the glass) on the other side. If that foam is not sitting tight against the back of the mirror water could come in where the wire goes through the door, so you seal around the O in the foam where the wire goes through. Those foam things can sit pretty awkwardly some times.

But honestly, having now seen the photo's, those glass seals need a good clean my friend, as previously described. Look at them, there's green moss growing in there. That stuff will grow and will lift the seal off the glass, seriously. They need a blade running down the glass and they need a scrub with running water to wash the moss away, just like in the video I attached earlier, or with a tooth brush or something similar. I'm sorry if it doesn't solve your current issue and you waste more time but if you take it to a garage a bit of cleaning becomes expensive and it should be something they do to eliminate it as the cause of the leak.

You're not necessarily going to find a big visible gap that you can stick your finger in to see if the leak stops, it's going to be tiny break in a seal that might not be obvious. So clean the seal surfaces and then silcone anything you can that's out of sight behind the mirror. Or take it to a garage and see what they say, at least you can tell them it's happening some where around the area of the mirror.

UPDATE: Car hasn't been for a service yet, however in preparation for the service (and hopefully leak fix) I took the door card off and took some videos of what I believe to be the leak. Now I know the water should drain away through the drain holes however in the video attached you can see that there is a lot of water coming in! I can't think of a solution. The whole back of the doorcard is pretty wet, the speaker connections were also wet which resulted in a very pleasant smell...

Anyway I digress, I can't be the only person to ever have this issue.

Video here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12BFEUan8LxMAGHW5omr-DtIRF55-hVCG

Attachments

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,393 Posts
thats not a leak, thats a window to the outside world, there is no way that much water should be flooding into the door, which is probably why it is running into the car because the drain holes are too small for the amount of water that will be coming in during a decent rain shower, that looks to me like the windows seals are completley shot and need replacing

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
It's only possible to get in from a limited number of places from there. The window holes look too high, so your issue where the two rubbers meet in the red circle.

Obviously you can't seal where the glass touches, but you can seal the gaps, like in the picture that gap shouldn't be there. If you're unsure of where to seal, some kids play dough or something like that will mean you can try different places to see if you've fixed it before you seal it properly.

You might as well undo the two screws holding your mirror in place and take a look.

What does yours look like from this angle?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
When the window is up does the seal rub up against the glass in these areas or does it seem like there's a gap? Get your credit card out and check if it slides in easy or if there is resistance.

It's most likely to be a gap in the rubber like in my previous post, but if the seal isn't tight on the glass it will still leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
When the window is up does the seal rub up against the glass in these areas or does it seem like there's a gap? Get your credit card out and check if it slides in easy or if there is resistance.

It's most likely to be a gap in the rubber like in my previous post, but if the seal isn't tight on the glass it will still leak.
Hello Marcdale!

I am sorry for dredging this post back up again, however I thought I had fixed my leak, but in actual fact I didn't at all :(

So the most recent fix was to reseal the door card back onto the door using sealant (I gave up on finding the area where the water was excessively coming into the door and focused my efforts on preventing water coming into the cabin). I followed the line on the door metal as to where to apply the sealant, put the door card back on. RAIN. And now the leak has prevailed...

I did some more research into the door construction for these clios, and apparently they originally came with a plastic membrane of some kind, on top of a mastic layer to hold the membrane to the metal.
I don't have any plastic membrane at the moment, only a seal around the door (which evidently isn't working).
Is it worth buying some plastic sheeting and doing this?
How will the indent for the storage in the door card fit into the door when there's a plastic sheet in the way? All a bit confusing... think I'm losing the will to live...send help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This isn't just for Marcdale btw,

If anyone has ANY suggestions or has dealt with a similar problem, please do comment.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I know this is a super old thread and bring it back from the dead is bad form.

However when I still had my Megan it used to leak via the doors similar to this. From memory it had a door liner that a previous owner cut to shreds and just used duct tape to seal it up (probably in an effort to fix the windows that would wind themselves down when they felt like it)

So i removed it all, cleaned all the mating surfaces, and used a large bin bag as a new liner and fitted that using sealant. Refitted the door card being careful not to puncture the bag and it didn't leak again.

Just FYI incase someone finds this via google (its how i found it).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts