Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi when i was serving in Berlin in the 80s guarding Rudolph Hess and guarding the Berlin Wall we used to go over the border at check point Charlie to go into East Berlin to watch what the East Germans and the Russians were up to i took these photos of the selection of cars they had:d Trebadt:d :d we could of bought one of these for half a months wages at that time i wish i had:d

Attachments

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Donald, you can pick a VEB Trabant in this contry (Norfolk I think) as an import for less than you spent fixing your wheel bearing .... just think all that 2 cylinder 2 stroke power .... mind boggling :d

·
Registered
72 Posts
Isn't the snot green car on the right in the second pic a Wartburg (Knight as they were called in the UK)? 2-stroke IIRC

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donald, you can pick a VEB Trabant in this contry (Norfolk I think) as an import for less than you spent fixing your wheel bearing .... just think all that 2 cylinder 2 stroke power .... mind boggling :d
probably more power than my 2.0 16v F4R:d :rofl:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
probably more power than my 2.0 16v F4R:d :rofl:
25 b.h.p. .... Poweer! .... and it was half made out of plastic and woodchip ... even more like an Espace ... spookie :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Although not very comfortable, it's rather reliable car.
Simply, there's nothing so complicated in it to break down.
I have a friend living close by and last year he did 1,000,000 km on it replacing only rubber hoses for the brakes, disks and pads.
Too hard to kill and now a big problem in all the empire-of-evile countries. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although not very comfortable, it's rather reliable car.
Simply, there's nothing so complicated in it to break down.
I have a friend living close by and last year he did 1,000,000 km on it replacing only rubber hoses for the brakes, disks and pads.
Too hard to kill and now a big problem in all the empire-of-evile countries. :rolleyes:
Hi great, comfortable,reliable,not complicated not many cars car can say this today:d :d :d

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I was just trying to be lenient.
In fact, comfortability is worse than anyting you've been into. I just wonder why they haven't put plastic seats so that you can easilty hose down the car inside and out.
Probably they tried to eliminate the hosing so that the paperwork on the wings, doors and roof do not fly away next time you get on the road with it.
Engine is good though and there are many things that you can do from it. Lawnmower for instance.
All in all, good car, only if you use it as henhouse or to fetch sth from the barn.
Few peculiar facts: there's no oil change with trabant's engine ever - you just pour 1 liter of oil into 10 liters of petrol.
You have heating once you turn the egine on - heating comes from the exhaust.
All in all I think it shold be shot on sight as its an insult to automobile industry.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Guess is you do like this car:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i think its up there with the Lada Riva and Scoda 3 cars that every garage must have:d :d :rofl:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hey Donald,I think I might have found a kit car project for you......

Buy one Trabant and one Suzuki Hayabusa engine and gearbox and put the two together........just don't crash into anything as the compressed cardboard and plastic is not known for it's pretective qualities.:d

Neeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww....................:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Donald,I think I might have found a kit car project for you......

Buy one Trabant and one Suzuki Hayabusa engine and gearbox and put the two together........just don't crash into anything as the compressed cardboard and plastic is not known for it's pretective qualities.:d

Neeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww....................:d
:rofl: :rofl: I might just do this and fit a roll cage and 2 bucket seats:d :d :d

1 - 20 of 36 Posts