·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renault Koleos '2015
All 1,2,3,4 wet.
1 is soaked
seems something sprayed onto 2,3,4.
Could it be leak from somewhere in engine?

è

·
Registered
62 Posts
First impressions are maybe a leaking gearbox/transfer box seal. Probably not a huge leak (but don't quote me on that), so leaking oil which runs along the Tri-ax joint and as the driveshaft rotates, oil is being flung to the surrounding area (hence the damp patches).

Caveat: not the clearest picture though...

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
o.k my take and just a suggestion - 2/3/4 are all rotation from the leak at 1 - now looking at 1 it looks dry gear box side and wet towards gaiter - it also to me looks like engine oil - so maybe dripping from above, but could just be a gearbox driveshaft seal.
BEFORE you clean get some of the oil / fluid / substance on your fingers and smell it , IF it smells like Cat wee its manual gearbox oil, if its cherry coloured its autobox fluid (you could help us with more car details) if very black oil - diesel engine oil , if oil is black or dark brown - engine oil. if blue/grey thicker (as in grease) it from C.V joint ...... So more details about engine and gearbox and we can suggest further. You will need to clean it and then look again.

Reactions: the_bing

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
5,248 Posts
If it smells like cat pee it's very likely gearbox oil,
have a real good look round the area marked 1
all the way round look for any tears or small holes
in that rubber boot, as above clean it off and see
if that makes it easier to spot any leak.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If it smells like cat pee it's very likely gearbox oil,
have a real good look round the area marked 1
all the way round look for any tears or small holes
in that rubber boot, as above clean it off and see
if that makes it easier to spot any leak.
If it smells like cat pee. @Nexxusone is most likely correct. Your gearbox seal is most likely to blame for the leak. Easy fix, but the pain is having to refill the gearbox oil. I have a love/hate thing going on with this kind of job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts