Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have to change my discs and break pads(only one disc actually from when the mechanic took a look). But I found these(77 01 207 898 ) discounted to ~13eu(From 60eu) a piece so I just bought both and will replace the whole rear.
Im probably going to go to a "private" mechanic to reduce the cost by a little bit, since I had to do a lot of repairs recently. I also purchased 36623-Part number A.B.S) brake pads to go along with them.
Now my question is, do I need anything else? I saw some little metal thingies that go on the discs, as Im not sure they are included with them(Ill ask when I get the parts from the shop). I also saw something somwhere that it is advised to change the main nuts as well? Any info would be helpful. Ty!

Car is Renault Scenic 2006 1.9dci 96kw(131hp)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,602 Posts
Never, that is NEVER, swap just one disc or set of pads !!!!
Always, ALWAYS, swap them on both sides at the same time.
Unless you really want to disappear sideways into the nearest ditch/wall/tree/people.

Having got that out of the way, check what you are buying, what you should end up with is shown in this advert (for reference, others are available.)

Discs with bearings and ABS rings pre fitted are simplest and easiest way to go.
The little metal thingies are either springs or shims..... can usually refit the old ones with a clean up.
Pads shown on this ad seem to have fitted springs... TBH, I don't remember them on my old Scenic (2004) but memory could be faulty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never, that is NEVER, swap just one disc or set of pads !!!!
Always, ALWAYS, swap them on both sides at the same time.
Unless you really want to disappear sideways into the nearest ditch/wall/tree/people.

Having got that out of the way, check what you are buying, what you should end up with is shown in this advert (for reference, others are available.)

Discs with bearings and ABS rings pre fitted are simplest and easiest way to go.
The little metal thingies are either springs or shims..... can usually refit the old ones with a clean up.
Pads shown on this ad seem to have fitted springs... TBH, I don't remember them on my old Scenic (2004) but memory could be faulty.
Well, good I bought 2 then :D
. Wait so.. from the discs I bought I can see that they don't include the Abs rings or the beerings..... So I will need to buy them seperately? And can't use old ones Abs rings or the bearings?

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Hi

I don't think I've seen then sold individually for years ! always sold in axle pairs AFAIK (even if boxed separately due to weight) same with brake pads.

Al

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,602 Posts
I'm not sure that ABS rings can be successfully removed and reused.
I am sure that reusing the bearing is false economy, especially if a garage doing it.
By the time it has been pressed out, it would cost as much as a new one.
And would be a second hand bearing that has been forced out of its housing and into a new one.
Your discs aren't wasted, bearings and rings can be bought separately and given saving on the discs, should still work out cheaper then buying ready built, depends on what the garage charges.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Hi, If using a garage I'd always let them procure the necessary parts, they are used to doing these jobs an know what is needed, they also have accounts with the motor factors where they can return incorrect or un necessary parts easily. Bare this in mind next time.
Fitting of new bearing into the discs is not easy, often a big press is required (10 ton + sometimes needed)
I always get the discs or hubs with them already fitted. Bearings these days are equally difficult to remove and very rarely fit for re use.

Al

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, If using a garage I'd always let them procure the necessary parts, they are used to doing these jobs an know what is needed, they also have accounts with the motor factors where they can return incorrect or un necessary parts easily. Bare this in mind next time.
Fitting of new bearing into the discs is not easy, often a big press is required (10 ton + sometimes needed)
I always get the discs or hubs with them already fitted. Bearings these days are equally difficult to remove and very rarely fit for re use.

Al
Cheers, Ill know from now on, what discs are actually made off:D. Luckily the discs were still "ok" so I ended up changing the pads only, thou I did run into an issue where the rubber on the cylinder "got out" a little, so was advised Ill need to reasemble the whole part. And that the sooner the better:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts