Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With twins on the way and another toddler already in the family, I'm in the market for a Grand Scenic as it's one of only a few cars that have a wide enough rear seat for 3 child seats, plus the additional 2 seats may come in handy at various points.

What I'd like to get everyone's expert opinion on is what engine should I get? 95% of the time it'll be used for short journeys in and around town with the occasional longer distance journey once a month or so, but still nothing more than 10 miles to be honest. In terms of a longer journeys at any speed, it's likely this will only happen a handful of times.

From what I understand a diesel is out of the question as it's not good when only used on short journeys, however I'm not particularly keen on a 1.6 petrol either as I previously owned a 2005 1.6 Dynamique and could only average around 27 MPG. What would be my best option given the type of driving we usually do and need for an average MPG of mid thirties and above for this type of driving? Does anyone know whether the 2.0 Petrol would be better, or was my 27 MPG on the 1.6 an anomoly?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there and welcome.

I'm in a similar situation myself, but am strongly considering one of these products; http://www.multimac.co.uk/home this is much cheaper & less of a risk than buying another car IMO.

Just a thought.

Best of luck,

Paul

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

well first of all how much are you looking to spend. The 1.6 16v VVT engine is fairly gutless. I would go for the 1.5 DCI or 1.9 DCI turbo diesel, but try and avoid one with a FAP filter as the ones with FAP filters don't like short runs. Out of the Petrol engines go for the 2.0 16v VVT.

Harry.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
25,220 Posts
If you can find a Grand Scenic 1.9 dci diesel without a fap filter then you should be ok with this, non -fap engines were available for this model so worth a look.(I think this is what your concerns were with a diesel)
My own car 2010 Scenic 3 1.9 dci is not fitted with a fap thankfully, and at the moment on very short runs which would be similar to your own it does 37mpg which in this cool weather isnt bad so in a Grand Scenic it wont be far behind, plus you have the extra engine power for the bigger body.

Hope this helps in your search

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
TBH if you're only doing short runs I'd keep away from the diesel with or without a FAP, because even if the FAP doesn't get you, the EGR valve will. I got through 3 or 4 EGRs in a 2 year period & hardly ever did any journey of less than 10 miles. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
My aunt's 2.0 VVT auto. Grand Scénic did 24 MPG around town, but she loved it, and it was well worth the money thrown into the tank!

My 2.0 VVT Manual Mégane averages 30 MPG around town so I'd imagine the Grand Scénic to be around 26 MPG.

The 1.4 will need to work really hard to shift such a thing so I'd avoid at all costs. I'd go for the 2.0. Not much more to pay in fuel for a lot more power than the 1.6

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
If your doing less than 10,000 a year, forget the diesel, the extra cost in fuel and the extra in maintenance costs makes it a bad choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry, I should have mentioned budget...

I'm looking up to £4k (wish it could be more) so think I should be able to get a relatively low mileage 2005 ish model for that. Also average around 10,000 miles a year.

I'm not sure whether the Diesels of this age were available without a FAP filter? What are your thoughts on having the FAP filter removed?

Still a toss up between either the 1.6 or 2.0 petrol which have lower MPG, or the 1.9 Diesel with higher MPG, but higher fuel and maintenance costs (FAP, EPG etc).

What you opt for in my circumstances?? (£4k budget, 95% Urban Driving, 10k miles per year)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Everyone in our family who has bought a diesel (Renault or other) has returned to petrol engine cars. Like yourself only used for short trips,shopping, school run etc.

It seems that diesels don't like that sort of useage whereas petrol engines seem to cope better.

Can't help you with which Scenic to choose as I've only had experience of 2.0 L autos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts