Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know what the cheapest kit car to build yourself is on the British Market today cheers all the best Doanld.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how much it is but the caterham kit car is popular
I have had my eyes on a second hand Tiger super 6 fitted with a Toyota 1600 twin cam with a ford 5 speed box £6950 but i would rather have it new and build myself it does not have to be a prestige model. It will be my first and iam not made of money just something that has been in the pipe line for a long time.I would rather go British but would buy any make to be honest.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Not sure if it's your kind of thing,but Beetle beach buggy kits are easy as a first project and relatively cheap.

There are 1000's of different kits out there,so your probably better off buying one of the Kit Car mags and going from there.I've always wanted a Lancia Stratos kit(Hawk HF2000),but they are mega bucks to buy and build properly.:(

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if it's your kind of thing,but Beetle beach buggy kits are easy as a first project and relatively cheap.

There are 1000's of different kits out there,so your probably better off buying one of the Kit Car mags and going from there.I've always wanted a Lancia Stratos kit(Hawk HF2000),but they are mega bucks to buy and build properly.:(
Hi Lag yes there are hundreds in UK i have been looking on the web for a long time at second hand but i was under the impresion to buy new and build myself sometime in the next 12 months to be honest just trying to re house as i would like my own drive, i have a garage at the minute at the top of the street about the same size as yours but i would rather have one beside the house so i can run power to it and i little bigger in size:)To be honest it will probely be second hand as everything comes down to cost.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
A friend of mine built one of these

The Latham Sports Register

It was an absolute nightmare, with none of the parts of the kit fitting together properly.

He finished it in the end, but it took years. Of course it's insured, but nothing would ever get the time and effort back, so he's loathed to actually risk taking it out on the road.

As a result, except for the odd outing to a kit car show, it spends almost all of its life in the garage.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A friend of mine built one of these

The Latham Sports Register

It was an absolute nightmare, with none of the parts of the kit fitting together properly.

He finished it in the end, but it took years. Of course it's insured, but nothing would ever get the time and effort back, so he's loathed to actually risk taking it out on the road.

As a result, except for the odd outing to a kit car show, it spends almost all of its life in the garage.
:crazy: I would also be talking summer and weekends only not a great pic but thats the one i was talking about

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Thats a strange looking beast!.

You only have to check out eBay and see all the half finished projects for sale to tell you how difficult some kits are.It's vital you pick the right one,but I would have thought that building one from scratch using donor car parts would be more economic,and certaintly much more satifying,than buying one second hand.

Some of the Beetle based kits are cheap enough,and rusty Beetles with good mechanicals are available very cheaply.They're easy to work on,and there are some attratctive kits available for them,especially the Porsche 356 Speedster replicas.

Caterhams etc are cheap and relatively straight foward to do,but there are an awful lot of them around.I used to work with someone who had built 9 of these(he was building number 10 when I last saw him:)),and he sold everyone for a profit.They're not to my taste,though.I can't even fit into one for starters!

O

·
0 Posts
I almost bought a tiger a couple of years ago, I thought it was a good kit, this one was already made. The Tiger tends to accomodate the taller gentlemen a little better than the Westy or Caterham.

Not sure about building them but they are of course great fun to drive!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thats a strange looking beast!.

You only have to check out eBay and see all the half finished projects for sale to tell you how difficult some kits are.It's vital you pick the right one,but I would have thought that building one from scratch using donor car parts would be more economic,and certaintly much more satifying,than buying one second hand.

Some of the Beetle based kits are cheap enough,and rusty Beetles with good mechanicals are available very cheaply.They're easy to work on,and there are some attratctive kits available for them,especially the Porsche 356 Speedster replicas.

Caterhams etc are cheap and relatively straight foward to do,but there are an awful lot of them around.I used to work with someone who had built 9 of these(he was building number 10 when I last saw him:)),and he sold everyone for a profit.They're not to my taste,though.I can't even fit into one for starters!
Iam not rushing in to this a will have both eyes open that Tiger is a 2004 with only 2000 miles on the clock but i think i will come down the years and save a pound or two and strip it to rebuild it so i know all is well after all it is a hobbie of sorts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry that is a strange looking kit car but there are much stranger some i have come accross:crazy:are out of this world:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I almost bought a tiger a couple of years ago, I thought it was a good kit, this one was already made. The Tiger tends to accomodate the taller gentlemen a little better than the Westy or Caterham.

Not sure about building them but they are of course great fun to drive!
Super fun OG i think the building bit is what iam looking for but it is a scary thought but fun at the same time:d

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Donald, what about classic cars?;)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think the cheapest one out there is the Locost (lo-cost), which is based on a sierra.

Still think the cheapest option is an 'unfinished project' whereby the person has run out of time/expertise/money and just wants it off their hands. Transporting it is a problem though.

The kind of money you're mentioning would get you a Lotus...(plenty of practice getting the tools out then):rolleyes:

Paul:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts