Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinkin of buying this car stereo to use with my iPhone. I need it however to work with my steering wheel control. I understand I need to get a special adaptor for this to work. Can someone point me to the right one please?

Also, I was going to pay Halfords £24.99 for fitting, but if it's easy enough to do (incouding fitting fascia and this adator thing and stereo) I'd like to do it myself. What do you think? Is it eays enough?

O

·
0 Posts
If it includes all that, I'd let them do it. The leads are probably that much to buy.

However, if you have to buy that and then pay £24.99 just to fit, I'd do it yourself.

Halfords should tell you what you need,usually Autoleads brand, then just buy it somewhere else cheaper, like ebay. :d

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah it only includes the fitting, then I need to buy some adaptor for the steering wheel and a fascia. I'm just not at all sure how to go about the fitting. There's so many wires at the back of a stereo, not to mention the steering wheel control, it looks really complicated!

O

·
0 Posts
It looks more complicated than it is. The leads you need are patch leads, they fit between the cars wiring and the CD player, so you don't need to root around in the dashboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply.

I got the patch lead for the kenwood, and the adaptor for my car. Everything fits and works so far apart from the steering wheel control!!!

On the adaptor cable thing that came with the stereo is a blue loose wire that says "remote control" on it. I assume this links to my kenwood patch's blue wire. I have done this but it's not working still. It only connects by wrapping the two wires together then putting the plastic covering round the two. Unless I am doing something wrong?

O

·
0 Posts
Wires should never just be twisted together, they should have proper connectors.

Blue doesn't necessariliy connect to blue, have a read on the instructions that should be with your Kenwood HU and the leads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there,

The blue wire which comes from the stereo is not for this purpose. It is a remote wire which tells accessories such as after market amplifiers when the stereo has been switched on so that you don't have to manually switch them on.
I am pretty sure that this should not be connected to the steering wheel wiring. (but this is purely an educated guess as I've not seen your particular steering loom.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
nicolanicola, how did you get on with this? i want to buy a new head unit for my 02 fidji with ipod connectivity, however i am not sure about the fitting and wires to make it work!! any advice would be helpfull :d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts