Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Renault Trafic II 1.9DCI Campervan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered if anyone out here has had any first-hand experience of the live sensors data that can be read from the OBD II port on a Renault Trafic II (phase i) 1.9dci?

Tried a number of different OBD readers with mixed results on my 2006 Trafic and the most I can read is the bus voltage and the time. No DTC codes are found even if I disconnect the cable from the mass air flow sensor which can’t be right.

Just want to establish if it’s the devices I am using or simply a very basic ECU/OBD output on this older Renault.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance.

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
5,977 Posts
Tried a number of different OBD readers with mixed results on my 2006 Trafic and the most I can read is the bus voltage and the time. No DTC codes are found even if I disconnect the cable from the mass air flow sensor which can’t be right.
If your vehicle is fully EOBD compliant you will have all emission-related parameters available to be read by a simple scanner .............. if its NOT (like my own Scenic II) then your results of being able to only read the voltage is about the best you can do (there is no comms protocol required to "read" the voltage - its just there on a pin and the scanner uses a simple A/D to convert the voltage n that pin to a reading for you - you can even calibrate your reader against/if you have a very accurate meter available with simple instructions to the reader).

If you want to go further, you will need a proper Renault speaking scanner ............ I have a few but one that seems to make financial sense for most Renault owners is an Autel AP200 (white body).

Note that simply unplugging the MAF without the engine even running will not necessarily generate a fault code

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LvR. Some great insight onto OBD and the voltage pin reading explains a lot. I suspect then whist it's connecting I'm not actually getting any data from the port. Will look at the Autel AP200. The readers I have already purchased claimed to work with my 2006 Renault Trafic II but hoping someone out there has one that they know can read this vehicle before I buy another.

·
Technical Supremo.
5,977 Posts
AP200(white body) will work on yours ............ had it on a few here (also a range of many other Renault models)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again LvR.

Took a punt on the Autel AP200 and it works a treat!!!

Now getting all the live sensors feeds and codes I needs.

My lesson learnt is that ‘not all OBD readers are the same’ even when claimed to work with any vehicle.

For Renault Trafic II avoid..

Autotool X50plus
Edasion OBD2 Bluetooh 4.0
Streetwise –SW0BD3 – Wireless Reader

Got nothing from these and whilst all under £20 but not worth a penny on my van.

·
Technical Supremo.
5,977 Posts
Never even bumped into any of those mentioned! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts