Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... over the last 7 years.
Ok. this probably makes me sound a bit of an anorak. But
I've kept all the costs of running, servicing and insuring my Laguna 1.6 since new (Nov 2000). I recently totalled them all up.
Including the initial purchase from new, petrol, spare parts, service, MOT, insurance and breakdown cover, it has cost me £23,300 to do 84,000 miles. This works out at 28p a mile.
I've averaged 39mpg. I just wondered if anyone else has kept costs and how this compares with other models or makes?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, have you deducted what your car is now worth from that figure of £23,300?

Sounds a fairly reasonable rate to me in any case.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yeah sounds great to me i keep all receipts from fuel to any thing to do with the car myself but ive only had the car 7 months so to early do this i will probely total it up in about 3 years time and which will be scary but hay whats that saying "you will never have money in your pocket when you own a car" something like that:) all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Cheap motoring - Who said that

Well done Peter - sounds fairly economic motoring to me - but as a matter of interest what did you pay for the car in the first place and did you pay cash or was it an interest free deal. When economists calculate the overall motoring cost they include any interest charges plus what would have the money spent gained if it had been invested. This allows them to establish a truer picture to include the effects of inflation, etc.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
28p a mile sounds very reasonable to me.:)

I wish I was organised enough to do what you have!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Madnoel10, you were right to question about how I paid for the car. I paid £9,995, part cash and part financed. So I've revised my figures. I also realised that I had forgot to include car tax! This gives me a total figure of £25,515 which equates to 30p a mile!
I don't plan to sell the car in the immediate future so I've not taken anything off for its residual value although it probably wouldn't be much anyway (£1,500 maybe). This would bring it back to 28p a mile.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Runningcosts

Hi Peter looks like your figures are nothing spectacular if the figures published by the Guardian are anything to go buy - using their annual figure for 2006 of the average motorist sruning costs of £2200 per year that would make a figure of £15,400 or a seven year period. Considering the figures for previous years would be less - and allowing for a 3% rise for inflation costs would work out at £14080.
See the link below:)

Motoring costs exceed £2,200 | Special_reports | Guardian Unlimited Money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts