Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil is best for the 1.9dci engine. cant find it anywhere in my handbook?????:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I asked this question last week, and the answer i got was 5w/40 fully synthetic, this is what renault advises im using this when mine arrives this week,

eBay.co.uk: FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W/40 ENGINE OIL MERC,PORCHE,BMW ect (item 290107039775 end time 26-Apr-07 12:07:06 BST)

look and you can buy a 25 litre for £58 delivered so works out £12 for 5 litres and you will get about 6 oil changes, im using the above and changing oil every 6k , there's better oils out there but unless someone can convince me other wise im sticking to this, it meets all the renault specs.

from exol web site, this is british made i believe

OPTIMA VIMAX 5W/40 (FULLY SYNTHETIC)
Fully synthetic highly advanced lubricant formulated to cope with the extreme lubrication demands of high performance, high speed petrol and diesel engines. Optima Vimax 5W/40 meets the lubrication requirments of the latest European passenger cars fitted with high output lean burn engines. A.C.E.A. A3,B3,B4,A.P.I. SL/CF. VW 505. MB 229.1 CMCC G5/PD2. MEETS THE PERFORMANCE STANDARDS OF MERCEDES BENZ, ROVER, RENAULT, FORD, FIAT, VAUXHALL, TOYOTA, NISSAN, PORSHE, BMW ETC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
surely the spec should be at least CH-4 ... CF sounds generations old? each alpha number is a new generation, but should match the fuel quality?? who can advise.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

for the reply if Renault advice that , thats the one i will use... i think unless some body comes in with a different idea?

·
Registered
87 Posts
surely the spec should be at least CH-4 ... CF sounds generations old? each alpha number is a new generation, but should match the fuel quality?? who can advise.

All ch4 spec oil ive seen is 0w/30 which i also know is a better spec oil but its not advised for the dci engine, i read that off here few weeks ago from a renault technician, i think the bigest issue is the 18k interval between oil changes so i do mine 6k instead, thats got to help.

·
Registered
87 Posts

All ch4 spec oil ive seen is 0w/30 which i also know is a better spec oil but its not advised for the dci engine, i read that off here few weeks ago from a renault technician, i think the bigest issue is the 18k interval between oil changes so i do mine 6k instead, thats got to help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you are right... if you go by the renault spec you can't go wrong... but you might go better..?.

My 2006 1.5dci handbook says CF oil every 10 000kms (6000mls). from 5w50 to 15w40...nothing about synthetic....
but... by definition, CF oil is a 1994 vintage, good for fuels up to 0.5% sulphur.
CH4 has better emission figures and came out in 1998. (comes in any viscosity)
CI4 came out in 2002 for engines when EGR is used.
all these later generation oils can be used in place of old versions.
However the CJ4 arrived in 2006 and can only be used on low sulphur fuels up to 0.0015% sulphur. with extended service intervals.. or 0.05% with closer oil changes..

additives added over the years are for improvement of anti foaming, high temp stability, viscosity loss, catalyst poisoning etc..

So, long story short... I only know enough about oils to be confused.. so go with what the book says..

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
My 'local' Renault dealer I used before I moved advised me that only ELF Excellium 5/40 fully synthetic oil is to be used with this engine. Have used it religiously since. One turbo was enough to convince me.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
My son in law has a Megane dci, 135000kms, only engine problem a cracked sump. What oil? he does not have a clue! takes it for a service and picks it up tomorrow.. "black smelly stuff" Even threating to repossess my daughter can't get him to ask!
I maintain 2 kangoo dci's and I cannot find any mention for or against synthetic oils in the manuals.
has anyone actually read it in a owners handbook.?

don't read me wrong, I use synthetics in my own vehicle, but only because they cost more, therefore must be better? (but .. Is peanut oil synthetic?)

my other question is ... why does oil have a use-by date.
10 000kms or 1 year.. not 13 months.. one year.. if synthetic is so good why does it not last for 375 days? or the full 10 000kms?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was advised by my dealer to use any good quality 5W/40 synthetic diesel engine oil. He also said not to use a /30 under any circumstances as it's too thin when hot. We also own a Zetec engined Ford which can't use anything but a /30, so getting the cans mixed up will be a definite no-no.

I'm going to order some Millers XFD I think. It's about £25 for 5 litres on-line, but their oil is brilliant. Never really understood why it's not more widely available on the High Street.

Cheers
DP

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe the Millers XFD is a CH4 rated fully synthetic!
that must be good...

there are 3 grades of diesel fuel..
0.5% Sulphur content
0.05% sulphur
0.0015%

my understanding is that if you are using the dirty fuel you must change at closer intervals even if you are using the best oil... I do not know what you have in your part of the world..
my owners handbook says if you are driving in extreme conditions eg short trips, the oil should be changed at 5000kms!

·
Registered
87 Posts
ive now just changed my oil yesterday, ive been running my laguna 2004 1.9dci on 5w/40 fully synthetic for the last 3 oil changes and so far done 12k on it with no issues, i have noticed after changing oil yesterday the car is more responsive and more for quicker and smoother, with this exol synthetic oil it cost about £10 to change the oil so im more tempted to even change the oil more regular, only hard part of changing the oil on the laguna is that stupid plastic under tray, but ive got a plan, im going to either cut a flap in the cover or im tempted to slot the holes so you just need to slacken the screws a little then pull the cover out. Im still of the believe that there's no way 18k oil change is any good for the laguna dci, and has ive always changed the oil myself and done all my own repairs and servicing of the car im going to change my oil 3 times a year about every 4k from now on, this is mainly due to short trips i do that takes the toll on the oil, only thing i need to do now is clean the egr valve thats my next challenge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts