Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys just wondering what you've got, more really of the standard kit, as there were a few variations over the years.

Myself, ive got the single cd Cabasse unit on a single DIN

So What do you have?

Standard Tuner List (Option 1)

CabasseSingle CD and Alpine Changer in Boot (Option 2)

Facelift Single CD (Option 3)

Single CD AND In Dash Changer (Option 4)

Facelift in dash changer with tuner etc in the boot (Option 5)

Cabasse unit and Satnav above (Option 6)

Later Satnav with console joystick and cabasse changer (Option 7)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have option 2, Cd Player in the front and Alpine CD changer in the back, although i may be upgrading to an mp3 cd player soon....

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive found that the speakers in the LagII are crap, end of.
This is partly due to their size (13cm rather than the usual 16.5cm used in most family sized cars) and the build quality. They sound great above about 500Hz, but there is just no bass to them.
First thing to do is upgrade them to something that will play down to about 40-45 Hz, that will give you the bass as long as they are mounted nicely.
Then you will probably be ok with a standard headunit, the tuner list is OK, its JUST lacking a bit of extra power as the bass distorts above 25 on mine.
So im going to get a Cabasse unit which is a straight swap, thats an instant 30W rather than the 15W with the Philips.
Im going to then get an in dash changer which adds a bit of variety.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
We have option 4 - cabasse auditorium single cd with a separate din sized multi changer.
This also comes with cabasse speakers which are an improvement on the standard fit ones. Still a bit lacking in bass but the overall quality especialy when playing cds is good for a standard fit unit.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Option 7 (though call me picky, but that sat-nav screen looks like it's from the old CD Carminat rather than the new DVD one.)

It's neat having the built-in MP3 changer, but there's a lot of things I'd have done differently if I'd been designing the system. It can also be pretty flakey, and I've lost count of the number of times it has crashed. I've become quite adept at pulling out and re-inserting the 20 amp fuse under the ashtray while driving (though don't tell PC Plod I said that :crazy:)

Things I'd really liked to have seen on this unit:
1) Gapless playback. How tricky is that on an MP3 player these days? It's particularly annoying on albums where the tracks run directly into each other, and so the producer has had to pick fairly arbitrary track starting points.
2) The ability to browse your currently loaded CDs or even the current folder without changing tracks. Sometimes I'm listening to something but fancy a change. But I don't want silence (or worse still, repeatedly starting new albums) while I'm looking for what I want.
3) The ability to view what's on a disc without actually having to mechanically load it. Have they heard of cache memory? As long as a disc has been loaded at least once, I should be able to browse at least the directory structure without having to physically select it and wait for the changer to do its thing.
4) Better integrated ID3 display. It'd have been nice to have the current ID3 details shown on the 'Main' screen (distance and turn icons only) of the sat-nav. There's plenty of room for that information on there.
5) Better integration with the sat-nav in general, though it has to be said that it's come on in leaps and bounds since the Phase I's Carminat, where different functions used to fight each other for screen space, with the one you really wanted invariably losing.
6) The ability to have the sat-nav working while you have a call connecting on the mobile. Once your call is in progress, you can go back to the map screen, but while the call is ringing out, the sat-nav is basically useless.
7) Return to the screen you were last on after a phone call. Sometimes I like to leave it on the GPS screen (don't ask me why) but if I get a call, it'll revert to the main navigation map afterwards.
8) Above all - iPod (or other MP3) connectivity. The fact that it has a built-in disc based MP3 changer does not mean they should preclude the use of a dedicated (and often superior) MP3 player.

Believe it or not, in spite of all of the above, I love the system. Sound's not bad (I think the Privilege and Initiale get uprated speakers) and I've never been a true audiphile anyway. I expect my ICE to provide me with audio entertainment while I'm driving. I'm not bothered about it blowing my mind with excellent reproductive quality, as long as I can tap my feet to the tunes.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Option 7 looks cool from the photos ive seen on the renault carminat page :)

Certainly way better than the older system which i WAS going to retrofit, but definitely not worth it now!

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
I have option 2. Cabasse single din head unit and alpine 6 CD changer in the boot.

The bass isnt the best, but it sounds OK I suppose.

:)

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have option 4 - cabasse auditorium single cd with a separate din sized multi changer.
This also comes with cabasse speakers which are an improvement on the standard fit ones. Still a bit lacking in bass but the overall quality especialy when playing cds is good for a standard fit unit.
You couldn't tell me whether the DIN sized multichanger requires a seperate code could you mate?

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the cabasse auditorium with the auto changer in the dash. Sound quality is superb from the carbasse speakers, controls are easy to use. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have none of the Options listed, as I have replace all the OE installed.

HeadUnit : Blaupunkt Woodstock Dab 54 CD MP3 Player (4 x 50watts)
All the Door speakers replaced with : Fli Integrator 4", 3 Way (4 x 50rms/150Watts)
Rear parcelshelf has 2 x Vibe QB69 (Retangular 6x9s) (2 x 200rms/600watts)