Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i am going to have closer look at this vehical with the prospect of buying today, it is a 1993 Espace, could a knowlagable person please tell me what i should check rather than buying because it looks nice lol.
I will then print out and take with me.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Yep - as Chris says.
Also check all the electrics are working ( windows,mirrors etc etc). Also the obvious ones like tyres,exhaust etc.

Check wheels for signs of damage due to kerbing - if they are damaged could also mean tracking/steering is out.

Take car for a decent run, make sure temp gauge rises and doesn't overheat, check no excessive smoke ( esp white/blue smoke) from exhaust.

If buying privately a HPI check is also worth it, you don't want to end up buying a stolen or written off vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from having quick look around it (nobody home) i had a look underneath and there is oil on bottom of the sump, bonnet was open (being charged) so i pulled dipstick and oil level was on the mark perfectly, problem is it was very clean oil so may have been topped up with lots of oil.
Would you disregard this vehical because of oil on sump.
cheers

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
have a look at mot advise sheet, you may be able to get the mot cert number, then go and check on the mot database, hopefully this will give a better idea of the condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check Oil & water levels, Make sure there is no mix and no signs of overheating (light brown dry stuff around the engine bay)

As said, check all electrics. Make sure heater works on all fan speed settings. Check lights, Windows & especially the central locking, test it works on all doors.

Make sure it has the lap strap for the center belt & all seatbelts work and lock correctly.

Check carpets are dry in the footwells, could be a leaky screen or worse a heater matrix.

give it a good run upto temp, make sure cooling fans kick in. Clutch & brakes feel ok.

Happy buying :)

See if they chuck in a free Haynes manual too :devil:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about oil on the sump, i think i read somewhere(not sure) about a problem with rear oilseal that can be more a pain than other vehicals, am i being paranoid or is this a fact.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
also check the vin number matches,m.o.t and the vin plate has not been tampered with.

good luck and welcome to the forum.

also uneven tyre wear.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Check The Rear Spring For Cracks Give The Electrics Athorough Check (switch Everything On At Once )lap Belt As Said Before Rear Wash Wipe Often Faulty Brake Hard On Your Test Run See If It Pulls Up Strait ! (sign Of Siezed Front Calipers ) Sun Roof Windscreen Leaks
Good Luck Mate

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Another point to consider is - do the current owners look like they've spent a bit of money maintaining the car? Its probably had more than one owner, so you want to be sure that its not been run on a shoestring, repairs either being overlooked or bodged.
Also, ask them why they are selling (and see their reaction)? Its not a cheeky question - children moving away from home, loss of licence/job, replacement car - these are all perfectly acceptable and innocent reasons.
Also, how long has it been on the market? If its been a long time - they are either ambitious with their pricing (perhaps less so by now), or the car has faults which has put people off.

I agree with all the car-related advice, but the above will also assist you with your assessment.

Paul:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts