Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another question re my new car....... I did warn you though;)

Right, I'm looking to take out the heater blower in my Laguna but obviously need to disconnect the negative battery terminal first. What I am concerned about, is what will the aftereffects be. I can sort out the stereo easily enough, just need to input the code. What I need to know is anything gonna happen with the following or will it all just set back to normal when the battery is connected again or is there gonna be some sort of technique for all or some;
  1. The Thatcham 2 Alarm
  2. The Computerised Dash (IE; Milage display etc)
  3. Trip Computer

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I've got to be honest,if all your doing is removing the heater blower,then I wouldn't bother disconnecting the battery.:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got to be honest,if all your doing is removing the heater blower,then I wouldn't bother disconnecting the battery.:)
That's what I was originally thinking but didn't want to end up shorting something. But, as you're of the same opinion I shall probably go ahead. Two heads are better than one, as they say. Cheers Lag.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
No problem!:)

It's really only neccessary to disconnect the battery if your working on the starter motor or alternator circuits,or anywhere where there is a permanent feed from the battery.The heater blower has no feed to it when the ignition is switched off,so as long as you keep the keys in your pocket,you'll be fine!:)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've given up already as there is no way I can get to the rear T30 screw holding the blower motor in place. There is just not enough space to get anything in there, I've even tried with a nifty little bendy driver that I have but even that cannot quite get at a 90 degree angle to the screw:steam: :steam: :steam: :steam: bloody cars, why can they never make anything easy to get to. One bloody screw, that's all that's holding me back. My bubble is beginning to burst very rapidly.

There....rant over.:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was looking forward to your progress. Just changed my 95 Lag 1 Phase 1 for a 2000 Lag 1 Phase 2 1.6 Alize. My air distribution control dial (name from handbook) is not turning fully can't select windscreen only or feet and body. It's as if there's not enough give to turn any more. No problems with heating though just the direction blower. Hopefully there will be follow ups to your post. I couldn't find anything else posted with regards to the blower control.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was looking forward to your progress. Just changed my 95 Lag 1 Phase 1 for a 2000 Lag 1 Phase 2 1.6 Alize. My air distribution control dial (name from handbook) is not turning fully can't select windscreen only or feet and body. It's as if there's not enough give to turn any more. No problems with heating though just the direction blower. Hopefully there will be follow ups to your post. I couldn't find anything else posted with regards to the blower control.
There will be updates but I do not believe they will help you. It sounds as though you have Auxilary Heating rather than Air Conditioning. Let me know if I am wrong. The problem I am having, I believe, is the blower motor which is located under the glove box which appears not be blowing any air anywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There will be updates but I do not believe they will help you. It sounds as though you have Auxilary Heating rather than Air Conditioning. Let me know if I am wrong. The problem I am having, I believe, is the blower motor which is located under the glove box which appears not be blowing any air anywhere.

Hi scatz I do have air con. but the prob I have is the direction blower dial not turning fully and stopping at the wanted option, you know windscreen, body & windscreen etc.. Thankfully the weather is ok now so no need to worry for windscreen steaming up in the morning saying that I'm in Glasgow and steaming goes with the territory. I was waiting to see if you would be successful at removing the control panel in case this would help me out to inspect ..ah hum.. my knob I mean dial. Did you manage to get the torx screw out or still waiting for posts?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
you could try a small ring spanner that the torx fits into it will be a longish job but I have done that on several jobs in the past and got it to work
john

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi scatz I do have air con. but the prob I have is the direction blower dial not turning fully and stopping at the wanted option, you know windscreen, body & windscreen etc.. Thankfully the weather is ok now so no need to worry for windscreen steaming up in the morning saying that I'm in Glasgow and steaming goes with the territory. I was waiting to see if you would be successful at removing the control panel in case this would help me out to inspect ..ah hum.. my knob I mean dial. Did you manage to get the torx screw out or still waiting for posts?
Ah, but I don't have the dials, I have the pushbutton aircon unit. The torx screw I couldn't get out (which I have now) was that on the blower motor itself under the glovebox. Your dial panel should be easy enough to get out. I would imagine it's the same as getting my control panel out;

1; Remove ashtray and undo the two torx screws that are hidden at the top of the gap. Pull out ashtray housing.
2; Remove radio and the tray underneath the radio and undo four torx screws. Two of which are located at the bottom of the radio housing and two of which are located at the rear of the housing, behind where the radio sat. Pull out the housing.
3; There should then be two bolts on the underside of the dial unit which need to be undone. You should then be able to remove the unit.

As I stated, it should be the same or very similar. Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers Scatz glad to hear you got the screw out, hope your jobs a good 1, I will let you know how I get on, wont be doing it til this weekend too much on at work to be bothered trying in the evening. If I get a second wind then will let you know how it goes. Meant to say sorry for hijacking your post

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Scatz glad to hear you got the screw out, hope your jobs a good 1, I will let you know how I get on, wont be doing it til this weekend too much on at work to be bothered trying in the evening. If I get a second wind then will let you know how it goes. Meant to say sorry for hijacking your post
That's if I can find a replacement climate control unit. I've been searching all scrappies in my area (and away) with no luck. One bloke on ebay has quoted me £50 inc. P&P but I'd rather pay less. Have even filled in one of those web forms that searches tons of breakers yards all over the country, will wait and see what turns up there. With regards to the heater blower, I've sourced a used one (tested) on ebay for £9.99 which is pretty damn good as I would imagine they would cost upwards of £100 new.

To add, it really won't take you longer than five minutes to remove your dials so half a wind would do;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Scatz this is probably the site you checked out but just in case maybe of use Renault LAGUNA Climate Control Units - Buy Renault LAGUNA Climate Control Units from The Parts Gateway I'll check out my car during lunch tomorrow if 5 minutes is all that's required failing that once I drop my little fella (aged 4 and half)of from nursery wont take my shoes off and hope he'll be content with his ps2 for 5 mins. Had good intentions of taking pics and posting but obviously not worthy of doing so then. Cheers and good luck with the climate control, read your other post looking for assitance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts