Independent Renault Forums banner

12741 - 12760 of 12908 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Had to take the cat to the out of hours / emergency vets earlier after she got stung by bee whilst playing with it. Ffs!!

God vets know how to charge !!! £220 odd quid for a couple of injections and the consultation :eek:. Hopefully the pet insurance pays out (minus the £60 excess !).

Let's hope kitty has learnt her lesson,!!!
Reminds me, couple of years ago someone else I know on another forum had summat up with the cat, needed an operation, over £2,000 feck that he thought, had it put down :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Sewing some face masks, got the sewing machine working nice then buzz and smoke coming out of it.

0.22 µF safety capacitor burnt out.

Really teed off.

:mad:
Can you just unsolder it and leave it out? I'm guessing all it does is go across the mains

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Mine:
I am rebuilding an old (1955) BSA Bantam D1 (125cc), I thought today I'll have a go at the brakes, took the shoes off, the springs and the adjuster "knob" for the rear brake rod are currently soaking in vinegar for a derust. I've got a set of new shoes and a shiny new lever for the rear brake plate, so I thought I'll put that together now, only to then notice it's Tucking bent! :eek: (These things often don't notice until you've got everything off.) But how in the name of bluddy hell does something like that get bent, it's quite substantial steel not flimsy, plus has an added strengthening bit (which locks it to the suspension), you'd need to drop an anvil on it or something. :mad:

A replacement is on order, there was a surprising amount of choice on eBay so I got the cleanest looking cheapest one. Also I've bought from the guy before so should be good.

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
15,581 Posts
Can you just unsolder it and leave it out? I'm guessing all it does is go across the mains
You are correct there, but not being an electrical buff but more of a buffoon I have ordered replacements and they should be here shortly.
Is it safe to just remove them?
I removed a 0,1 µF from the foot pedal control many years ago, something like 20 or more and it worked fine without that one till I resurrected it just before Easter and the 0,22 µF one in the main machine body blew with a loud buzzing and copious amounts of smoke.
Hopefully the replacements should be here within a couple of days.

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might as well connect the two together with a mixer tap for the perfect water temperature .... maybe use for an outdoor shower perhaps? :devilish:
Could be a good plan actually for when I wash the car :ROFLMAO: next job is to wire in an outdoor plug, had it sat here two years now and haven't bothered to fit it, finally have time do sort these odd jobs out!

Anyway today's grump is the kids waking me up at half 6 not the usual half 8!

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,992 Posts
You are correct there, but not being an electrical buff but more of a buffoon I have ordered replacements and they should be here shortly.
Is it safe to just remove them?
I removed a 0,1 µF from the foot pedal control many years ago, something like 20 or more and it worked fine without that one till I resurrected it just before Easter and the 0,22 µF one in the main machine body blew with a loud buzzing and copious amounts of smoke.
Hopefully the replacements should be here within a couple of days.

:)
Capacitor in my electric drill blew with a very loud bang a few years ago and it's still working fine. Promised to buy myself a new drill when the time came but its still running well (Metabo). Having said that I would not recommend ignoring it if you are unsure what the capacitor is there for. Probably a simple suppressor or could be part of the running circuit for a single phase motor.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,966 Posts
My grump.
Been with my last Insurance company for dont know how many years,
They have stopped doing Business Insurance, another part of their business sorts it ( Think its a tax fiddle myself )
Thought everything was sorted, £550 Drive any vehicle ,,, that my driving license covered/allowed, whether the car is insured or not, I'm covered, .

Not filled a form in, What form ( They have already been informed of change of Email < still got the Email in my Sent Folder ( Never gets emptied )) Nothing off them so took no notice,

Get a voicemail, Insurance being cancelled at 5.PM today..

Lad managed to get in touch with her, It's their mistake, not only that, they had tried to change the terms, but he had my terms in front of him,
Not allowed sell cars, Always had that, checked oops sorry, only 10% Of my business Breakdown, WTF,
They think I Jump on a low loader and move cars around the country, NO , if the car wont go I take it with me.
Thats My breakdown ,

Indemnity has gone up to 10,000 and WTF as that got do with me, , You will only pay out what the car is worth, And any short fall, either the customer if not insured it's tough, or customers insurance company covers it.
So thats still the same for all mobile mechanics.. with business insurance..

Tucking hope I dont have a bump,

Deffo reading their new docs carefully as/when they get sent, just to make sure they are not going to omit something else ..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,174 Posts
Click and bl33ding collect.
Needed a couple of gate hinges.
Click and collect at a well known tool station.
They were shown as in stock.
But still waiting for the confirmation text that they are ready.
Ah well, tomorrow no doubt.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,752
Click and bl33ding collect.
Needed a couple of gate hinges.
Click and collect at a well known tool station.
They were shown as in stock.
But still waiting for the confirmation text that they are ready.
Ah well, tomorrow no doubt.
Still on the way from china no doubt..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,174 Posts
Wouldn't mind but the Youngest and the Common wanted to go out on a bike ride for exercise.
So while I sorted out the bikes...pumped up the tyres, adjusted the brakes and the like, 'Er Indoors went off about them wearing helmets... and could only find one.
So Click and Collect from Halfords...one in stock, reserved, got text confirming available for collection.... next 'Effin Saturday....WTF?
Phoned them up, very pleasant young lad explained that the stock system is fooked…...not that he put it quite like that.
Cancelled that order, repeat for the next nearest branch, they showed 2 in stock, we got one.

It is a difficult time and I appreciate that shops and stocks will be all over the place but so far, not a good experience.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,754
It is a difficult time and I appreciate that shops and stocks will be all over the place but so far, not a good experience.
Needed new slippers..shoe zone on ebay..delivered the next day ..was shocked..ordered oil and filter for wifes swift..ordered yesterday should arrive tomorrow..wish all ebay sellers were as good as these two..10/10

·
40,966 Posts
Needed new slippers.. oil and filter for wifes swift..ordered yesterday should arrive tomorrow..wish all ebay sellers were as good as these two..10/10
And what are you going to do when it arrives.. you crazy mothertucker,
Not seen a car that needs slippers and oil,
Seen cars with slicks , but not slippers..

·
40,966 Posts
No mate, not had a beer for over 5 weeks now..

Never been one to drink in the house, dont touch wine/shorts..
Sticking with tea, chocolate , or might have a milky coffee,

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,758
WOW !!!..not touched my bottle of brandy either since I was diagnosed with bowel disease..got to be honest do miss a tot in my tea..

·
40,966 Posts
Dad always had whisky in his tea, until he was about 90, then it was maybe once a month
Lot more than the rest of the family knew about., I just gave him as much as he wanted, think the tea was his dash of water really,
He always reminded me of Dave Allen , just two fingers ..

12741 - 12760 of 12908 Posts