Independent Renault Forums banner

13341 - 13358 of 13358 Posts

·
Super mod..
28,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,346
Today is another anniversary of the Aberfan disaster..I was one of 3 students that went up to help..we were turned away and what we saw was gruesome indeed.. children's bodies all mangled and twisted and some were decapitated by the diggers the images from that day will live on forever in my memory and will never be erased..😥

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,648 Posts
I had never heard of the Aberfan disaster (was too young) but just looked it up now. The loss of so many childrens life is shocking. Somehow it seems worse than any other kind of disaster and something like that must affect the whole community for a very long time. Very sad.

Reactions: Phil48

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,016 Posts
I had never heard of the Aberfan disaster (was too young) but just looked it up now.
I was 11 and though it wasn't the instant news and wall to wall coverage we see nowadays, it was headlines that you could not miss.
A terrible tragedy that should never have happened

·
Super mod..
28,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,349 (Edited)
I was 11 and though it wasn't the instant news and wall to wall coverage we see nowadays, it was headlines that you could not miss.
A terrible tragedy that should never have happened
This was the valley's guys and how it was back then great mountains of slag and covering the mountain side..when I live in pontypridd just up the road was the Albion colliery in Cifynydd the slag heaps were enormous

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
24,046 Posts
Remember it well Phil, unfortunately, and something I wouldn't like to have witnessed, but for volunteers like yourself it could have been a lot worse, but a very sad day for Wales.

·
Super mod..
28,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,351
Remember it well Phil, unfortunately, and something I wouldn't like to have witnessed, but for volunteers like yourself it could have been a lot worse, but a very sad day for Wales.
The miners from the local pits like Aberdare colliery walked over the mountain to get to the scene. .many didnt leave there for three days straight..to my eyes they were real hero's as were everyone that rolled up their sleeves and got stuck in..

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,122 Posts
I recall seeing on our first telly. Didn't Robens leg it to a prawn sandwich do in Guildford and the families relief fund was raided by the NCB to pay for cleanup?

·
25,016 Posts
Tyre prices
Can normally shop about and find decent tyres at decent prices but covid seems to have stopped that.
Avons for 56 quid each or budgets with no grip for 40.
Or go higher and higher in price.
For my youngest it's not going to be ditchfinders

·
Super mod..
28,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,354
When I bought my venga I had two new continentals on the rear..12 months later the same guy said he couldn't supply because there were none around and I wanted them for my MOT Aug just gone.. another local tyre guy supplies and fitted and said what a load of tosh how many do you want..

·
Super mod..
28,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,355
Well I have family who live @ Stoke and after reading the sentinel online this morning am now feeling quite depressed.. what a sh1thole of a place to live and after reading through some many pages of reports from covid crime and one idiot stripping off and dancing in the street am wishing they lived back here in wales.. what possessed my brother yanking them away to live in a place like that is beyond my recollection..

·
Super mod..
28,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,356

·
25,016 Posts

No wonder I am a ray of bleedin sunshine..
Anyone who hasn't worked that out from day 1 needs a brain transplant...... the comment on covid not that you are a ray of sunshine..... although?
Once the disease got into the general population, the only thing that will remove it is immunity, a vaccine or the virus itself mutating to a less harmful form.
All the lockdowns are doing is preventing treatment centres from being overrun and buying a little time.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
My 10 year old grandson's Honda CRF70 motorbike and helmet have been stolen from a locked shed on land where he rides. It was his pride and joy - what a hard lesson for a young lad. :mad:

13341 - 13358 of 13358 Posts