Independent Renault Forums banner

9261 - 9280 of 9328 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,530 Posts
just finished building the new batt pack for the electric bike , shed is still in one piece but left it outside over night , then in the morning if its still in one piece not a pile of molten metal on the floor i will give it its first charge and try it on the bike , it should be 1/3rd more in power / distance but as i am using good samsung cells not cheap china cells that came with the bike it could be way above 1/3rd , then as they say cut the white wire ;) and see how fast it can really go

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,530 Posts
its still in one piece and on charge 4-5 cycles and it should be at its peek of performance . electric cars bring em on .
next test is see how far it goes on the twist and go and take the temp gun with me to keep an eye on the motor hub

·
Premium Member
2014 Captur tce 120 edc , 2010 Lancer VIII 1.8 143 hp
248 Posts
thats me in the office area, there is the radar ( i call them wannabe radars) showing 30 km/h limit, and when you pass it you can see angry face on the board saying slow down, whenever i see it i push the gas more and more...

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Woman on our local FB page wanted to know if the Co-op sold large letter stamps. Obviously not clever enough to walk the 25 yards to the post office and ask them if they have any.
Where faceache is concerned brains go straight out if the window.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Not sure if it's a grumpy or a smile, turned out better so I think it's a smile – about a week ago lappy No. #1 goes t!ts up, I was watching a YouTube vid, quickly figured the guy's in Australia, he mentions Clive Cams curious where that is exactly so I pause, start another tab, Google maps, search, yep there it is, in Oz, NSW (I think) – bluddy lappy turns itself off. Just like that. Black. Off. Dead. Nuffink. Just like holding down the power button.

Now coincident with this, i.e. at this precise moment, Internet dropped out for a few minutes. Get lappy turned back on and rebooted, get to log in screen, that's when I notice no Wi-Fi, comes back on while I'm watching, OK. Log in, get to desktop, icons, creates the taskbar with its icons, constant "busy" for cursor (little blue circle rotating). Then, BSOD. Feck. "Oops there was a problem, we will collect some info then try to restart your computer. Counting down: 90%, 80%, 70% ..."

2 million years later, get to lock screen, log in, get to desktop, icons, creates the taskbar with its icons, constant "busy" (little blue circle rotating). Then, BSOD. "Oops there was a problem ... Counting down: 90%, 80%, 70% ..."

Jesus fecking H Christ. Fortunately I use System Restore. Find out (by Googling on lappy No. #2) how to get into safe mode, or whatever it is, such as it is. OK get system menus for various things, one thing we can do, go straight to System Restore. So, select one I created earlier (I frequently make my own restore points manually), yep, (after 2 million years later while we wait) boots up and stays up. PHEW!! I then I notice Avast antivirus icons are missing. I now think what happened is when the Internet went AWOL Avast was doing an automatic update, and now one of the files used during the boot-up is corrupted. But while it's all working at the mo, back up last few days stuff to put onto the other lappy in case it all goes t!ts up again.

Next, try to get Avast back. More reboots. At one point I get the icons back but they do sweet bu99er all if double-clicked. Ditto the sub-menu off of the taskbar. Nuffink. Nada.

OK I try reinstalling Avast from my "Installs" folders (I keep a tree of all my programs installs, for exactly this kind of situation)

Yep OK Avast installs, seems happy, does updates, OK, need to restart, well of course, it would want that, that's normal.

Reboot (wait 2 million years), lock screen, log in, desktop, icons, taskbar, constant "busy" (little blue circle rotating). BSOD, "Oops there was a problem, we will collect some info then try to restart your computer. Counting down: 90%, 80%, 70% ..."

Feck feck feck feck feck feck FECK!

Anyway we now know Avast is the problem. It am basically screwed. So I took the whole Tucking lot off, and off of lappy No. #2 as well. I finally finished about 3:30 am. Why do these things always happen late evening?

Now using just Windows Defender. What I noticed today (for the first time?) is the batteries seem to last longer, also, there's no more of this constant disk activity (notice it more on lappy #2 'cause it's louder), i.e. the heads are constantly rattling. Like WTF is it doing? Still get some now obviously, but not all the time.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,062 Posts
We have two identical desktops here. One runs W10 the other Ubuntu. It is remarkable the difference in disk activity when both are allegedly on standby. The W10 machine is constantly fussing over something or other. I can see the RAM and disk usage are high. Can't be bothered fixing it really. One day she will have had enough of it's figaries and that will be that.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,771 Posts
@mike...Before Christmas I got fed up with AVG anti virus. Used it for years but constant nags and was getting worse.
So I went hunting.
Removed AVG and installed Bitdefender (free)
Seems to be working happily in the background, thrown a couple of warnings on potential viruses so is doing summat, good reviews, very few nags and no constant activity.
You may want to look at that.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
We have two identical desktops here. One runs W10 the other Ubuntu. It is remarkable the difference in disk activity when both are allegedly on standby. The W10 machine is constantly fussing over something or other. I can see the RAM and disk usage are high. Can't be bothered fixing it really. One day she will have had enough of it's figaries and that will be that.
Switching on "metered connection" might work. Stops apps feedback and Windows store stuff I think.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
@mike...Before Christmas I got fed up with AVG anti virus. Used it for years but constant nags and was getting worse.
So I went hunting.
Removed AVG and installed Bitdefender (free)
Seems to be working happily in the background, thrown a couple of warnings on potential viruses so is doing summat, good reviews, very few nags and no constant activity.
You may want to look at that.
Thanks. I started using Avast because it was recommended, mind you about 10 years ago. Before that was it was McAfee, which was great for a long time then it went all totally redesigned and bloated and sloooww! Hence change to Avast.

BTW never ever install the professional version of malwarebytes, your PC will end up as slow as a ZX Spectrum. The free version is still OK I think, or it was when I last had anything to do with it (which has been a while if I'm honest).

Windows defender seems OK at the mo.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,767 Posts
I know you'll call me names but I haven't used a third party AV software for ages. Defender is the only part of the Microsoft package that actually works. MS is still causing havoc with its updates and patches.

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
15,199 Posts
Thinking it was Mothers Day today and taking a card to mother in the nursing home in Torpoint. They have self quarantined and are not allowing visitors in.
P1ssed myself when she said she will give it her next week!!!

:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Dentist yesterday, finally got a cavity sorted that was noticed December. Kept putting it off finally booked around end Jan beginning Feb, thinking will be next week sometime, no, one and a half months! The novacaine stuff was really powerful most of my nose was numb as well, right up until the evening.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Sitting at home is not that boring.
What is just funny to me is that one pack of rice has 8754 grains of rice in it and the other pack 8762.
I Recommend you buy Tastic rice and not any another brand.
Tastic has 9001 grains and 2 broken grains.
I am counting the 10kg bag of flour but the stuff is filling the world when I cough :eek: 😢

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,859 Posts
What do you do with the rice, might be a good time to share recipes .
Seen @Dancingdad and his Beans on Toast, that presentation was exquisite

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,062 Posts
Sitting at home is not that boring.
What is just funny to me is that one pack of rice has 8754 grains of rice in it and the other pack 8762.
I Recommend you buy Tastic rice and not any another brand.
Tastic has 9001 grains and 2 broken grains.
I am counting the 10kg bag of flour but the stuff is filling the world when I cough :eek: 😢
Had the same issue with the Golden Sun rice. As I had a bit of time to spare I checked the lengths of the grains. Not much there. So I checked the grain diameters at four places each to get an average. Keep your fingers dry or the little beggars start swelling on you.
I sent them an email. You can relax, no traces of nuts.

9261 - 9280 of 9328 Posts