Independent Renault Forums banner

9681 - 9700 of 9716 Posts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,219 Posts
Was my grandsons 18th yesterday Dave.
Seems as though my son decided to take him the pub, and explain how evil alcohol is
He really ought to have taken him to a brothel and explained about women

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,113 Posts
Tale about my dad’s best mate...
Mick was a great bloke and would do anything for anyone, worked at Hem Heath Colliery with my dad. When they were away from there our families did loads together, holidays included. During the mid eighties Mick was coming under increasing pressure to move house because his lovely wife and 4 gorgeous daughters were wanting a place with a large kitchen. Mick didn’t want to remortgage as he and my dad worked 7 days a week so they could holiday and enjoy time with their friends and family without scrimping. He hatched a scheme to build an extension on the side of the house and would build it with my dad and a couple of other friends from work.
While Mick didn’t want to cut corners on materials he didn’t want to spend too much, one big expense was the 20ft, 9x9” steel beam required to ensure the project was possible... A suitable beam was located in the compound at work and drink money given to the security guard.
The following night shift, Mick and my dad rounded up some strong lads and they strapped and chained the beam to Mick’s car, as much as possible was inside and the rest simply on the floor, the majority of the strain taken by the rear suspension and the towbar hitch. My dad swears he’s never seen a maxi 1750 sit so low to the floor.
They set off from the colliery and went (this is where Stu and possibly Baggy will enjoy the story, having local knowledge) along Trentham road and turned right by the Dougie Mac Hospice, my dad following to prevent anyone from running into a very slow and low Austin Maxi, he didn’t dare go too close because of the sparks from the girder as it gouged the tarmac.
Having navigated the turn they travelled through lanes and popped out by the Swynnerton and came up the hill to Mick’s road and then along to his house (Mick lived on the road just down from Meir Heath car sales Stu). Once there, the beam was unhooked from a very smelly and tired Maxi and manhandled into Mick’s garden by the men from work who’d traveled up to help, some in my dads car and some in their own.
The extension got built and Mick got to stay where he loved and at a price he liked. He was on pins for weeks though, wondering if he was going to get a knock on his door. After all, the evidence was all the way from Hem Heath to his driveway, that beam did some damage!!!
This story is true, I saw the beam, damage to the street and had many barbecued meals at Mick’s house as he my dad and their friends built a beautiful extension.
Mick christened it the colliery kitchen
He and my dad got up to all sorts but this is my Dad’s favourite, he reminds me every year. He still can’t believe the Maxi made it but Mick wouldn’t be swayed into doing it anything other way!!!

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,684
Now wondering if your dad's mate and the mike in my story were one of the same or related.. 😄

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,689
First swearing in front of her and now denigrating women.
Lady H is gonna punch your lights out young Philip...
Or put me in the sin bin and beat me with her whip..

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,122 Posts
Focus is back charging again. New alternator.
We have a treasure of an auto electrician here. Ten years ago he made brushes for the Punto wiper motor. He keeps asking how it's doing. I keep moaning it will probably fail at midnight when the warranty runs out.
He put brushes in the GS three years ago but the Focus unit was beyond redemption. Only 330k on the thing. I blame them knicker elastic belts.
Mostly he'll tell a story as he is fixing whatever it happens to be on the day. This time we got the story of the car sale.
A deal is done at a garage on the New Line Road and it breaks down the next day on the road to Dublin.
" You should have said" the seller explained. " Sure, you never stir out of the County and didn't I sell you a local car."
An old story but still makes me smile.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,113 Posts
Wrecked one of the very first ones in Staffordshire in less than a day. Absolutely rubbish off road with no power to speak of.
Good job it was a demonstrator

Bottom of the sea/lake is probably best place for it matey...

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Finally got the flu jab – went dahn the doctor's this mornin', for 11:20, cor wot a palaver! First (I'm told, outside) need to go find the flu vac social distancing "marshals", (as opposed to the "any other" marshals), name rank and number, OK very good, right now only stand on these white spots; (the "anything else" queue is blue spots) we get inside, queue again (more white spots), obviously they're doing us in batches cos then it was "right you lot follow me left-right left-right, right you're in here, you're in here, you two follow me, right you in there and you in that one" I imagine it's what being in the army's like (I wouldn't know)

Get the needle then my phone goes off, to tell me it's time to go in (original instructions said can only do 5 minutes before), too late matey it's all done and dusted (I'd set a timer at 11:10)

Then chucked out a "side" door into the street (three large hand written in thick felt tip paper signs on the wall "WAY OUT ->")

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,696
Not had it but wife has..only one I did have made me ill and that was many years ago..we are locked down and dont go out so more chance of her killing me with an axe than catching that I think..

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,697
DINNER TIME..DOWN TOOLS>>

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
24,046 Posts
Never had a flu jab in my life as I don't trust em, too many people i know have suffered from s bad reaction to the jab, so rightly or otherwise that's my reason for refusal of the jab

·
Super mod..
28,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,699
Never had a flu jab in my life as I don't trust em, too many people i know have suffered from s bad reaction to the jab, so rightly or otherwise that's my reason for refusal of the jab
+1.. only ever had one and that was worse than having the bleedin flu..

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
24,046 Posts
+1.. only ever had one and that was worse than having the bleedin flu..
With all respect to you Phil, I don't think you've been right since! My mate had one jab and finished up a month in hospital and he never really recovered from it! 👎 😓

9681 - 9700 of 9716 Posts