Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nuts (including the locking one) keep coming dangerously loose on the NSF wheel on my wifes 53 Scenic. I've tightened up and torqued em but they keep coming undone. I thought perhaps the balance was out on the front wheels, so I got it taken down to the local tyre place and the guy was pretty sure that wheel balance wouldnt do this, and refused to balance the tyres cos he didnt want to waste her money.

Anyone got any ideas what might cause this?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi if the wheels that are on the car are the original wheels and that the wheel nuts are also original i would think it was a worn or faulty set of nuts but as it has already been said if the wheels have been changed and they are using the wrong nuts with that set of wheels this may be the result of your problem and if they are the original wheels i would get a new set of nuts first to see if this helps your problem all the best Donald.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Donald, I'll inspect them again when I get home. The wheels are certainly the originals and I presume the correct nuts, but I shall double check

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks Donald, I'll inspect them again when I get home. The wheels are certainly the originals and I presume the correct nuts, but I shall double check
Super, great, please keep us posted whatever you do to let us know the outcome cheers all the best Donald.:)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
welcome to the forum cactus bob.
i do not want to worry you'have you had the wheel studs checked,if you put a ring spanner on the wheel nut turn in the tightening direction and see if the stud turns as you tighten,if 1 stud is loose it may cause the nuts on the others to back off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wheel nuts

hi i have just read about your problem with the wheel nuts why dont you swap one or more over to another wheel to see if it is the nuts or not ? just a thought Dennis

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thats a perfectly logical thing to do,well done Dennis!.Nice to see a new member offer advice.

What torque are you tightening them to,and do you know that your torque wrench reads correctly?

EDIT:Also,are the wheels steel?.If so,is it a wheel that has been swapped with the spare?(not sure if you have a space saver).If it is a steel wheel that has been in the spare,then the tapers for the bolts in the wheel could be corroded,and this is causing the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
welcome to the forum cactus bob.
i do not want to worry you'have you had the wheel studs checked,if you put a ring spanner on the wheel nut turn in the tightening direction and see if the stud turns as you tighten,if 1 stud is loose it may cause the nuts on the others to back off.
Not sure I understand what you are saying, the wheel doesnt have studs, it has a hub and four bolts :)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi catcusbob, difficult to test this one, but are the bolts actually protruding slightly through the disk/hub/drum when torqued up, if not the bolts you are using may be too short to tighten properly .... try sticking a bolt through the wheel when you have the wheel off, and see how much thread is protuding .... you should have at least 25-40mm to allow for the Hub/Disk/Drum to mount the thread properly .... hope this is clear.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try that when it stops raining. Just back from the garage, the mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with the threads on the bolts or the holes in the hub. The hub itself was secure and fine as well. He (the third person now) suggested someone may be loosening them. This brings me to the next question - how unique are the locking nuts?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Well make me the 4th then ......... if everything else is showing up okay then I'd suggest someone is either trying to steal the wheels or has got a grudge against you.
Why not put some kind of paint on the nuts, then they should show some sort of mark if they're being loosened intentionally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts