Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick tip - rub a thin layer of copper-slip over the face of the wheel hubs next time your wheels are off. Had new tyres fitted today and I couldn't believe how difficult it was to pull the wheels off the hubs, it took two tyre fitters to get it released! - If I had needed to change a wheel myself it would have been impossible at the roadside!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Sound advice, remember to include the wheel nuts/bolts with this treatment.

The thought of the danger involved in having to strike/kick the tyre whilst the car balances on the jack doesn't bear thinking about.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
My mates 2003 Laguna II Sports had the same problem with his alloys just after having a 18000 service from a Renault dealer - made me wonder if they ever had the wheels off during the service. We resorted to an old trick I was shown by a Lada dealer many years ago. Don't jack the car up - loosen the wheel nuts about one turn drive slowly forwards and back jabbing the brake sharply each time and it was enough to break the bond between the alloy and the steel hub. Needles to say we removed every wheel - wire brushed all the corrosion away and applied a light smear of copper anti-seize compound to the hubs and wheels - each wheel bolt was wire brushed clean and given the same anti-seize treatment. When he went for a set of new tyres recently the tyre fitter had to jump clear when he removed the wheel as it just fell off narrowly mising his toes - he just wasn't expecting it.:d

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember this problem on older cars - I seem to remember the drums and facing surfaces were painted and this helped. Also the studs were fixed to the disc or drum and the wheels held on with nuts - The copper slip is definitley a must I think!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh you are right scenic -it rarely happened on older cars because the wheel was made of steel and the hub or drum was made of cast iron - both similar ferrous metals. The old Lada had rear aliminium drums with steel inserts and it used to react with the steel wheel. The main cause of modern alloy wheels jamming on is down to the electrolytic reaction between dis-similar metals causing corrosion - if your friendly neighbours dog wees on them the acid in the urine excelarates the process - the copper in the any-seize compond reduces the electrolytic action as it conducts electricity.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
As well as using Copaslip I also carry a rubber headed mallet (like you use for camping) ... so you can belt seven bells out of the rim without damaging it .... it works esp. after the dealer or tyre fitter wipes the Copaslip off and doesnt tell you .... then you find out too late when its raining or snowing and your wearing a tee shirt and a pair of converse, and have to change a wheel ...... :crazy:

Hope it helps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts