Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to upgrade my rear suspension to make it stiffer so that i can tow my caravan, can anyone source me rear springs or shocks as i cannot seem to locate them anywhere.
(not spring assistors) .

many thanks in advance ... chakota ;)

ps lag 2 sports tourer 02' reg.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Stiffer springs

Chakota - stiffer springs may make matters worse - ideally there should be little or no difference when the caravan is hitched on. This is where the correct fitting of a suitable tow-bar and the balancing of the caravan comes into play. The chassis and suspension of the caravan should be taking the weight not the car. If you look at your handbook it should clearly state towing weights (that is what the car can pull not what load it can take on its rear suspension) Also it may be that your current springs and shock are worn (this is not uncommon on esate cars). You may be able to get better info from a decent tow-bar supplier or a caravan club - both of whom will probably have experience in this field. Whilst camping can be fun - towing can be dangerous:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, these type of "assisters" Coil assisted dampers (in addition to your springs) seem to be thin on the ground nowdays ... in the past the "sports" manufacturers did them ... check out KONI , SACHS or SPAX...and if you cant find anything a last resort Monroe (personally dont rate them my opinion)

Worth a look :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Stay away from the so-called sport shock and spring people - take my advice ask someone who understands the principles of towing, etc

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Stay away from the so-called sport shock and spring people - take my advice ask someone who understands the principles of towing, etc
All these companies do spring and damper products specifically for towing, they also more popularly manufacture products for motorsport and pesudo motorsport, two very different product sets and R&D streams.

Ask and take lots of advice, but nowone was suggesting towing with a lowered set of KONI's (or the like) .... thats not what that product set is for .... however their towing products are so have a look and with the advice you get make your own mind up!
Also dont forget to look at swaybars and other stabaliser aids, they can really make a difference

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Good advice Truckbus!.:)

Uprating the spring rates slightly and the shockers will make things much better when towing.:)It is possible to buy adjustable shocks that you can set to wether your towing or not.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to all for their advice.
If i take one of the gas bottles out it evens the load better , when i am fully loaded the towing ratio is 88% which is slightly over the 85% guidline.
I just dont like to see the caravans ar*e sticking in the air.

I shall indeed investigate the adjustable shocks.
Better to be safe than sorry when towing a caravan .

Many thanks lads for you views on this. .. chakota.

By the way does anyone know of a bosch service centre near milton keynes ?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Caravan Towing

I have spoken to a neighbour who has towed a caravan extensively throughout Europe for about 10 years (he lives in Northern Ireland so he's got about 700 miles to go before he even gets a sniff of the English channel) and does about 2000-3000 miles a year. Throughout he has continued to use the same car which is a diesel. He advises simply this. When single axle caravan is loaded for towing a fit adult should be able to lift the front tow hitch of the car unaided - this clearly demonstrates that it should be properly balanced. I think you have demonstrated this by moving the gas bottle. I asked him about the moving the gas bottle and he says he doesn't but puts the family bikes at the rear (inside) of the caravan to compensate or if he can get the mother to sleep in the rear bunk better still!!:)
You also need to consider the height of tow-ball on the vehicle because if this is too low or too high it can seriously affect your driving.. Remember this needs to be worked out when the car is fully loaded. He is also a member of the British Caravaning Club and though it costs to be a member they can give loads of good advice you may also qualify for discounts on caravan insurance, travel and campsite fees. In fact last year he left his caravan parked up in France rather than drive it home each time at little or no cost as he can rent it out when hes not there.
His main advice is that if you intend to tow on a regular basis it is best to invest in a bit of extra kit (extended mirrors, spare wheel, etc) and get some good advice from experienced caravanners. Happy Camping!:) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts