Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted a thread about problems with my amp as it cuts out. alot of people have told me its possibly my earth but its realy solid and doesnt move from the bolt but i was wondering if there is a recommended place for the earth to go...
Thanx

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi kulvi8

I've not had to earth an amp in a clio before, but to make sure the point you have chosen is a good earth first clean off the paint down to bare metal then tighten the fixing nut.

A meter would be handy to measure the resistance to battery negative terminal.

hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently posted a thread about problems with my amp as it cuts out. alot of people have told me its possibly my earth but its realy solid and doesnt move from the bolt but i was wondering if there is a recommended place for the earth to go...
Thanx
My earth is wired to the mains water supply and also the central heating. Hope this helps :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi kulvi8,

I find a good earthing point on most cars is where the rear seats bolt to the floor. I've used this location on many different cars with no complaints.

Another possibility of your amp cutting out could be due to it overheating. Have you got anyway of telling what temp it's running at (LCD display)? If not put your hand on it, if it feels very warm or hot it's prob overheating.
What wattage is your amp comparied to the speakers/sub it's driving? I used to run a 1000watt sub from a 500watt amp, depending on how long it'd been on it did sometimes suffer from overheating. A good way to sort this problem out is to get your hands on some PC cooling fans. You can link the fans to your amp earth and remote wires, this way the fans switch off with the amp. Maplin do a good stock of these, if you want you can get really fancy with light up ones!!

Reactions: DEEJAY 225
1 - 4 of 4 Posts