Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I can't answer specifically for your model of car, but in general you will find 2 (sump plug) type fittings, one higher than the other - the lower one for draining, the upper one for topping up.

Its good practice to loosen & remove the upper one first (and I'll explain why). If you have a problem opening the upper one after you have drained the gear oil - you have an immobilised car!

Sounds obvious, but many get so wrapped up in draining the fluid off, then encounter a problem when its too late.

Its normal practice once the gear oil has been drained to then refit the drain plug, then top up teh fluid until some starts to pour out of the upper hole (but it might be wise to double check that for your specific model).

HTH

Paul

Reactions: curlykevs

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
If it's like the Clio it's a plastic screw in plug with a bar across it that you are supposed to be able to unscrew with your fingers its on the front of the gear box about half way up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's like the Clio it's a plastic screw in plug with a bar across it that you are supposed to be able to unscrew with your fingers its on the front of the gear box about half way up
thanks for that info yes you are right but the butterfly wings on mine have been broken off thats why i could not find the filler hole i now need to drill that one out

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Not sure I'd recommend drilling it out.

It's only plastic, and not screwed in very tightly, so you might be able to use a hammer and screwdriver (as a chisel) on the edge of the plug to start it off.

Having said that, if the 'ears' have sheared off maybe it's tighter than I thought!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts