Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a good one I can't get my head around :crazy: 60l or £55 fill's my tank to the rim, can't get no more in as the filling station pump cuts out when full, the fuel gauge needle jumps right to the top on startup, on my way... Park up and return later, insert the card and half of one qtr of a tank is missing, the needle sits half way on qtr 4. I live within two miles of the fuel station, so it don't burn any fuel really. This happens when I park up on a flat or sloped surface. I'v had this happen a few times now when tanked up, No leakage of fuel anywhere. So I though it's probably a glitch somewhere expecting to drive for miles and the needle not move untill it's become even with the tank so to speak, but it moves down as normal as I drive on, so it can't be. Today I filled right up again from half a tank the the gauge showed a full tank as expected, popped into a shop just down the road, card in and again, needle dropps down to half way on qtr 4. I'm at a loss :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
gypsies mate bloomin everywhere;)

possible fault on sender unit or connections to the sender unit.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Exactly right - what's your fuel consumption working out as? This will confirm if you have a fault. Another possibility is a split in the tank near to the top which is allowing diesel to be lost. (That's why I asked about the fuel consumption).

I realise you say there isn't a leak, but it could leak whilst you are driving from the filling station to your next destination.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
trouble

Exactly right - what's your fuel consumption working out as? This will confirm if you have a fault. Another possibility is a split in the tank near to the top which is allowing diesel to be lost. (That's why I asked about the fuel consumption).

I realise you say there isn't a leak, but it could leak whilst you are driving from the filling station to your next destination.

Paul:)
my wife has a citereon berlingo that shows simular tenderses when we fill up the only way we stop it is to fill very slowly at the tail end but when using tesco's this does not work as they have a time out system which means it stops puming before full but when we use bp or shell we can get it full and then it goes for quite a time before it even moves it must be to do with the designe of the filling system
tinker.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure hope it no split, I would have thought if there were, as I park on an incline driveway, there would be traces of diesel, also if I were loosing it on a journey, and the needle would drop accordingly. I will keep a close eye on the fuel readings in the trip computer; I normally get around 35mpg and 48 on highways.
I’ve already booked the car in to have the gearbox oil changed next week as im experiencing rough changes, this morning worried me as I started from cold, drove off and had gear crashes in 3rd with the clutch to the floor.
It's going to be one of those expensive summer's again by the look's of things :mad: last year the clutch and flywheel went. I'll probably get the turbo surprise next year :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
I reckon you've a pixie with following you with a gerry can & length of pipe........

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a good one I can't get my head around :crazy: 60l or £55 fill's my tank to the rim, can't get no more in as the filling station pump cuts out when full, the fuel gauge needle jumps right to the top on startup, on my way... Park up and return later, insert the card and half of one qtr of a tank is missing, the needle sits half way on qtr 4. I live within two miles of the fuel station, so it don't burn any fuel really. This happens when I park up on a flat or sloped surface. I'v had this happen a few times now when tanked up, No leakage of fuel anywhere. So I though it's probably a glitch somewhere expecting to drive for miles and the needle not move untill it's become even with the tank so to speak, but it moves down as normal as I drive on, so it can't be. Today I filled right up again from half a tank the the gauge showed a full tank as expected, popped into a shop just down the road, card in and again, needle dropps down to half way on qtr 4. I'm at a loss :confused:
hi.. I seem to have the same prolem with the fuel gauge,I dont put in as much fuel as your good self but it can be intermitant it was confusing when I first brought the laguna estate 1.9dci. I even went as far as going back to the fuel station and made a complaint about not reciveing the fuel..
as long as I know how many litres I ve put in Im fine,but its not some thing I experience all the time

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,880 Posts
Check out any breathers on the tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After you park up then go back to it and its showing lower than you expect it should be, drive back to the petrol station and see how much more you can get in the tank. You will know if its losing it or not then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts