Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been buying cars all my life, but this takes the biscuit....(unless I need to get out more!)

Began negotiations mid November 2010 to part-ex my Nissan Qashqai for a new Scenic Privelege and ordered one at what I considered to be a reasonable deal. Just before Christmas I got a phone call to say that Renault had ceased production of this model. Back to square one! I had lost a month and had to renegotiated for a Dynamique, fortunately retaining the same price for my old car. Delivery promised mid-March 2011. I had to pay for optional extras in order to bring the specification back up to near Privilege level.

Mid-March has come and gone, still no car although allegedly it is now somewhere in UK. I go away for a week from 27 March so unlikely I shall take delivery until 4th April or later. When I advised the Dealer of this they complained that my present car was valued on the basis of a March exchange and that if the deal went over into April, they couldn't give me the same value. All to do with quotas and the end of Quarter One. Not my problem, I pointed out!

So what they wanted me to do was hand my Qashqai over to them this coming weekend (still in March) and pay the cash balance. I could then collect my new car when I returned from holiday. I was incandescent at this suggestion. Whoever heard of paying £7K for something you haven't seen yet. What if the Company went into liquidation in the meanwhile? I was told, "Oh yes, Sir...we've often done this before when a car has been delayed...."

So the position now is that I have reluctantly agreed to hand my car over at the weekend (I won't need it while I'm away anyway) and will receive a full tank of fuel for the new car in compensation. After more haggling, if I decide to pay the Dealer the cash balance too, they will now give me £300 MORE for my part-exchange vehicle. Maybe this is common practice, maybe not. I simply couldn't have invented this scenario.

What would you have done?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi and welcome.

In no particular order, I would've gotten in touch with What Car? magazine, Renault Customer Services and Which?

Pretty sure that would've added a few sweetners to the deal, or brought the car here sooner.

Paul

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
What would I have done??

I would have walked away simply because they have failed more than once to keep any of the agreed dates or terms.

The bit about - "Oh yes, Sir...we've often done this before when a car has been delayed...." :crazy:

Just because somene has been gullible enough to fall for this typical sales waffle doesn't mean it either legal, fair or even morally right.

Looks to me they want the financial aspect tied up before the new fiscal year beginning on 1st April.

Overall their customer service needs a few sharp lessons. They seem to have forgot one vital aspect of selling. They may have what you want but they need what you've got.

P

·
0 Posts
I'd tell them that you will hanging onto the car, and if your new car is not delivered by the time you go away, you will be expecting a reduction in the price

Alternatively they can cancel the order and refund you any deposit as they have been unable to deliver a car as promissed

I'd also be contacting RCS and asking them what they think about all this....The last time I complained about a dealer to them, they were more than helpful and got it sorted out in my favour immediately

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am very grateful indeed to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply with their advice which I found very encouraging.

I spoke at length this morning to a helpful Manager at Renault UK Customer Services. I was advised to hold onto my car until I return from holiday especially as I haven't had a definite delivery date yet. The car is at the point of import having cleared Customs. The financial arrangement/incentive which had been put to me for early settlement by the Dealer, she regarded as very unusual. I have spoken to the Dealer and their request to me for car/cash has now been withdrawn.

Customer Services wish to talk to me again once I have taken delivery just to make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it is now 18th April and I still haven't got my new Scenic! On 4th April after I had returned from a short holiday I expected to find that my car would be ready, but No! My dealer advised me that it is still held up at the Port of entry - Teesport. Apparently new Renaults get a thorough technical check before being released to the Dealer and allegedly, there is a technical fault with the rear axle. I telephoned Renault Customer Service, as clearly this situation is unacceptable with a new vehicle that hasn't even been on the road. How come the factory didn't find this fault? RCS advised me that it is not just my car, but a whole population of new Scenics with the same problem. I checked with RCS again today 2 weeks later for an update and they are still unable to tell me exactly what the problem is. Anyone had experience of a similar scenario before? I have this mental picture of some joe on the dockside at Teesport with a screwdriver messing with my new car......shakes your confidence a bit, I would say. I shall insist on a full explanation as to what the problem was and how it has been resolved and by whom, before I agree to accept the car. Anything else I can do, as it isn't the Dealer's fault?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I'd be walking away from them at this point. They have failed at every point to communicate with you and now you find the car has a fault before its even been delivered! You are always going to have a nagging doubt in your head about this car.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I'd be walking away from them at this point. They have failed at every point to communicate with you and now you find the car has a fault before its even been delivered! You are always going to have a nagging doubt in your head about this car.
I would agree.

The buyer entered into a contract to purchase a product and the seller has consistently failed on numerous occasions to fulfil that contract.
In this case the contract is strictly between the buyer and the dealer and Renault has no say in the matter.

It is no different than say going into an electrical shop and ordering a particular brand of washing machine (e.g. Zanussi) and come the expected delivery date it does not arrive as agreed and then you are told it may be late and when it does it may be faulty. Of course you would be disappointed. Would you complain to the shop directly or would you go to Zanussi.

Under consumer law the courts may expect you to give the seller a reasonable time to sort the problem but obviously in this case the seller has had more than ample opportunity to do so. Don't let the dealer fob you off by blaming his supplier (i.e. Reanult UK).

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Well done. I hope the Scenic, when it finally arrives, is all you hope it to be.
I will be ordering a new Renault in the not too distant future, so such stories are of great interest to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Where's my Scenic? Hub nuts loose?????

Thanks again to the respondents to my latest posting. Today (Thursday 21 April) RCS have finally advised me as to what the problem is. Apparently the hub nuts on the rear axle were loose or to be exact, were not tightened to the correct torque. When I asked why it takes over 3 weeks to tighten 8 wheel nuts even on a population of Scenics/Grand Scenics, I got a lot of waffle about how urgently Renault were treating this matter and how thorough they have to be with their checks etc.etc. - I was quite underwhelmed by the explanation but was assured it was the truth. Hmmm. Is this a sign of the times? I am reluctant to walk away from this deal as I was really looking forward to owning a Scenic even if some of the pleasurable anticipation has gone. Who knows - if I started again somewhere else with a different car, the same thing could happen???

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Maybe taking a step back and looking at this from a different perspective is needed here.

Many cars collect flaws in the pre-production/production/holding compound/transporter/Pre-delivery inspection stage - and are corrected with the new owner blissfully unaware of any remedial action, other people buy car's with inherent flaws requiring a recall.

In this case, you have been unlucky, had you not investigated further (and I'm not blaming you for doing so), you would be in the former camp (a bit miffed about the delay, but happy with the car, regardless). It IS annoying, but in my opinion, its better that any flaws are picked up by the quality checking safety net BEFORE they fall into the hands of customers - manufacturers are often criticised for failing to act with urgency, but in this case they are.

Something also worth bearing in mind, is that platform-sharing & component-sharing is rife throughout the car industry, and I'm fairly sure this problem will not be limited to just a short run of Scenics, I'd bet the farm on Meganes and some Clios & Lagunas being affected. At the very least, they need to double-check all possible models.

Just concentrate on enjoying your car when it does arrive, I am sure it will prove to be worth the wait.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Paul, for your thoughtful reply. I am not asking for much - just to be told the truth and not to be fobbed off with some hatched up excuse. My main concern is with the time it has taken (now almost a month) to sort out a relatively simple defect and get the car on the road.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I know Peter, when I worked in a customer service centre for Ford UK, it was very difficult when a delay is so open-ended.

Quite often manuafacturers don't want to lose face or create worrying amongst customers, so will seek to underestimate the scale of the delay/defect when informing the customer, so as to not undermine customer confidence.

It may be construed as lying, but be assured, there will be much activity behind the calm facade you are dealing with.

Really hope your car arrives soon.

Paul

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If the story about the hub nuts (only two fitted to the rear) were true why not just load the car onto a loader and let the dealer do the job.

After all it's not a highly technical job - is it. And it could very easily be done during pre-delivery check.

Maybe this thread should be re-titled to The Pinocchio Saga.:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Probably down to cost Noel.

Remember most dealerships are franchises.

Plus, there is much less chance for cars getting this remedial work missed out if its all performed in-house.

Paul

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If I read this thread correctly the car is already in the UK probably parked up in a large dock-side parking lot.

Common sense tells me would it not be cheaper to get a dealer mechanic to do the work than say have Renaults own techs go to the dockside. After all the car is going to be transported to the dealer anyhow.:crazy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Collecting the car Thursday afternoon. I talked to RCS yesterday and allegedly they found out that new nuts had to be fitted and hub nut covers too had to be obtained from France. I have been wondering what hub nuts/covers are? Mistakenly I assumed they referred to the studs/wheel nuts which secure the wheels.....Doh !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts