Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to cleaning their car which polish does everyone use?
Are certain brands better at buffing up or getting marks off ?
I have a red lag will look under bonnet or doors to see what code it is!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Gingermart - I drive a red Laguna II (2001)and the paint code is located on the pillar just to the rear of the drivers door. When I got it a few weeks ago it had the usual small scratches and stone chips but with the correct touch up paint and polishing with a red couloured polish (which comes with a small red coloured wax lipstick for filling small scratches). It now looks great. One other tip to keep the paintwork in good condition is never to use a car wash or a power hose and if washing by hand don't use washing up liquid - buy a proper car wash shampoo.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I have used MER, Autoglym and Mequiars

I have run out of wax/polish so any ones comments would be of interest, bearing in mind that my car has a light tone paintwork .

MER is a good all round polish, Quick and easy to use and polish off, good on glass work and a couple of cap fulls in a bucket a makes a good wash if the car is not heavily soiled then a rub over with a soft cloth brings it up a treat, tho I think its possibly a bit coarse for continuous use on Renault Met paints, Economical to as a little goes a long way.

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is a product I like it is simple to use and if applied sparingly and left to go off it buffs off easily and seals in a good shine I use this one on all paint types and shades, Again economical if used sparingly I use the Autoglym trim gel which seems to work very well and lasts quite well once applied, I use a damp piece of sponge to apply easier to keep it off the paintwork and surrounding areas

Mequiars Gold Glass liquid wax I have used with varying success I found it works very well on the darker colours but not so good on the softer ones, I also found this not so easy to apply as the MER but buffs off really easily, I have not used any other of the Mequiars range of products some seem to be very popular.

Any suggestions what I should try next or will I just continue to use the products I know and trust.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
tbh i use tesco own brand.unlike most polishes it can be used in the wet(you know when your doin round the mirrors etc and you get a waterfull from under the plastic)and in direct sunlightl(coz you know theres never any shade about when you need it) and it shines as good as the expensive brands

regards
nthesx

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Meguires paint cleaner first to get all the crap off the paint, I use an orbital buffer saves hours of graft, then yet Again Meguires polish to buff away some of the fine scratches you get when you devalue your car putting it through a standard car wash, last of all two coats of guess what Meguires tech wax, finish off the plastic body parts with auto glymm bumper care and the wheels with meguires tyre gel, all that takes all day so yes I am ¤¤¤¤ when it comes to the paint work:) :)

Yes Meguires does work best on dark paint, (don't ask me why)!!

My threepeneth

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I use Autoglym usually, like others have said easy to apply i used a round sort of sponge pad and you can leave on all day at it will still buff up as though you have just done it, i have seen demonstrations at lots of car shows and quite a few use this.

what do people use on the grey bumper strips on the Renault my wifes Clio has black strips and look better when i use back to black on them but the grey ones dont look any different.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Thanks for that i will be popping into Halfrauds later so will have a look, i also need some alloy cleaner too as my last bottle has run out, any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Not sure about alloy cleaner as I just use the shampoo, I try not to let them get really bad I find a lot of Alloy cleaners are a bit harsh.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Wonder wheels is a really good cleaner. I have used it on the past when I have bought cars with alloys that need a bit of a clean. I wouldn't recommend it is used frequently but as a twice a year give the wheels a really good clean solution it is great.

Autoglym have just introduced an alloy wheel cleaner that is "kinder" to modern painted alloys etc.

I wash my wheels every week with a good car shampoo - manages to keep the wheels still looking like new, as the brake dust doesn't get chance to bake on. I do at least 200 miles every week in the Lag as well. I try to clean the wheels, even ifI haven't time to wash the car or if its raining too much to do the car. Many a time I have been out in the rain washing my wheels ( sad, I know).

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yep, I will clean the wheels if nothing else just to stop the build up as once they get bad it is hard work getting them back.

Looks OK too a dirty car with shiny alloys ....Tho don't do them in the rain not yet anyway.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I personally use the Merguairs NXT, which is great, but have also used the Gold Class which I found to be pretty good too.

I have been reliably informed that 1Garnd Blitz Wash is the mutz nutz and will be buying it next. Its from the Frost website.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I know what you mean about alloy cleaners been harsh, they take a bit of a shine off the wheel, i usually was the wheel first, use the alloy cleaner, then wash the wheel again to bring back the shine.

Have you ever tried RainWizard or RainEx, if you put it on your windscreen or other windows when it rains the water runs off need to be doing 30mph or more and you dont need your wipers on, its great on a motorway and it saves your wipers which for some of our cars are a stupid price - £50. It has the same affect as when you polish your car and the water stands on it.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes I use Rainex on all the glass work, Mirrors etc bar the front screen as I was told it can affect the autosensors in the screen.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Oh right i have not heard of that, i dont have a problem with the autowipers really either. Think i will get a bigger bottle as last time it only lasted me about 3 applications on mine and the wifes car, how often do you do it? Do you try and build it up?

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Depending on the weather and if I have used a cleaner on the windows or not, every month in the winter I apply it thinly and build it up over the winter months, helps keep the sidelight windows clear off spray so you can view the mirrors better, I dont really use it in the summer months.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Keep you dog off my Motta

I spoke to a local tyre dealer the other day and he advised me not to use any type of alloy wheel cleaner on wheels which have tyre sensors fitted. He says they are prone to corrosion at the best of times without throwing a mild acid at them and he also said dog's urine was none to friendly either to alloys or sensors. He also offered a bit of preventative advice - a good coat of wax polish or silcone will prevent the dirt and dust becoming ground in. Suppose prevention is better than the cure.:d

1 - 20 of 35 Posts