Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need to top up my power steering fluid in my megane Mk1 1.6 16v year 2002 as it is near the low level mark. I called my local renault dealer to enquire which oil is needed as the book directs you to the dealer for assistance. They told me it needs D2 power steering fluid at £11 for a small top up bottle. I went to halfords & was advised their D2 fluid is the same spec etc & only cost £7 for 1ltr. I've bought the D2 power steering fluid from halfords, but i've noticed it is different in colour to the oil in the reservoir. The new stuff is light red & the stuff in the reservoir is more yellow. Does it matter & will it mix ok? Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dexron II and Dexron III will mix ok, various colours of the 2 will mix just fine. If your oil has been there since 2002 it's probably discoloured, All dexron II and III fluids are usually red when they are new. All brands of Dexron II will will function the same in the power steering system.
if the oil is old consider taking off the output hose from the pump and empty the system by just running the motor a few seconds. power steering oil gets very hot and degrades after a couple of years.

to flush it properly lift the front wheels or park them on something very slippery like ice. take of the press hose from the pump, get someone to start the engine and turn the wheel back and forth to the tank is empty top up the tank as you go. stop the motor if necessary. purge thru thesystem like this witha few liters before stopping and refitting the hose. top up the reservior. job done. check the level again after a few km of driving.

that old yellow fluid sounds a bit dodgy, best to flush it out. I flush with cheap oil and do the fianl fill with good stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts