Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a strange whisle from the left of my renault scenic 2000 with 45,000 on the clock unsure what is could be it is a high pitched whistle could this be a sound of bearing wear and can bearings wear at 45,000 ? any other ideas i dont think noise is in the engine ? (intermittamt noise) thanking you in advance for your help :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked windows and sunroofs all okay although i do use heat blower its more of a whistle do you think that could be my blower ? is it common for a scenics to whistle lol :)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Does it happen with engine off, running or just when you`re driving and does it stop if you turn the heater off? (mine`s never whistled at me but then I`m old and rough as a bears a**e)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
happens intermittantly whilst driving takes a while to start whistling maybe after 5 10 mins driving but once started does not stop not investigated turning off blower seems to come from the left of the car louder when i open the window wide as if it is coming from the wheel ? thats why i thought wheel bearing but not too many miles on the clock so unsure ? ( not even sure if wheel bearing makes a whistle or a bang ?)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
If it takes a while to start it sounds more like a mechanical problem. You could be right about the bearings but I`d wait for one of the more mechanically expert to give an opinion. (it doesn`t take much to be more mechanically expert than me)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Sarah. In my opinion, if you can hear the noise get louder when you open the window, then I could only conclude that it originates from outside the car (so I wouldn't think its the heater/fan). The type of sound you are describing, and the fact that its not present upon first setting off, but once it starts - its constant, would lead me to believe that there is some dry contact occuring. Two main questions;
1. Does it vary with speed (i.e. get louder / higher pitched) as the car's speed increases? If yes, then that would indicate that the sound is originating from the wheel area - could be bearings, or even a high-spot on a brake disc making contact with the pad.
2. If possible, try to drive (once the sound is present) at a constant speed, then change down/up a gear without changing speed - does the sound change? If it does, then that would indicate something under the bonnet (slipping drive belt, the bearings in a pump, for example) is giving rise to this.

What I'm trying to do is eliminate some possibilities, and narrow the field.

Hope some of this helps you.

Paul:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) Hi thanks so much for the post this whistle is driving me crazy have been testing the car tonight and say in a 15mile trip noise will start after 10miles and continue for a mile or two but i can stop this noise by pressing the brake ?? think i am just beening picky but intermittantly this noise will occur for longer. noise does not change when changing gear and keeping speed do you think i should forget about it and stop being so mad ??:d :d thanking you in advance

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,I'd agree....

Sounds as though there is a problem with the rear brakes.If it stops when you put your foot on the brake,then it could a dust build up or something rubbing.I'd get it checked asap.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks so much for that help will pop down too kwik fit tomorrow ( do you know why rear brakes if your still online cheers dont dought you either just interested ):) :)

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
thanks so much for that help will pop down too kwik fit tomorrow ( do you know why rear brakes if your still online cheers dont dought you either just interested ):) :)
More likely to happen to drums than to disks. Does yours have drums at rear? Easy to find out... apply your handbrake as you drive and if it (the whistle not the car) stops, it's rear brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks will check that and let you know unsure if it does but i have a 1.4 alize 2000 wreg renault scenic if that helps think its a trip to kwik fit but it is so intermittant not sure if taking the brakes apart will cause more trouble ? the brakes do seem very firm as in instant stop when depressed (not spongy )

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
thanks will check that and let you know unsure if it does but i have a 1.4 alize 2000 wreg renault scenic if that helps think its a trip to kwik fit but it is so intermittant not sure if taking the brakes apart will cause more trouble ? the brakes do seem very firm as in instant stop when depressed (not spongy )
Nah! Just checked on t'Internet and it says they have discs. Try the handbrake test though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
can you advise

Me again been to kwick fit today for free brake check here are the results .
FRONT DISC MIN SPEC 21.0

Near side 22.29 off side 22.30

front pads
near side 12.23 off side 12.14

REAR DISCS MIN SPEC 9.50

near side 9.48 off side 9.12

rear pads
near side 6.9 off side 6.2

:confused: :confused: :confused: they assure me that the rears have to be done £308 for the sake of the children !! Although when i went to another garage for a quote they told me they would not take my money as figures above did to add up and looked at them (with wheel on though) and said they were okay as pads are new very confused now :confused: and still have a whistle what should i do ????????/ thanks so much in advance

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi sarahswregscenic

From reading through the thread the whistle is the brakes rubbing at the back,this can happen even with new pads fitted (as we found out on our scenic).

The cure on ours was to dismantle the rear brakes,clean and reassemble,then check the action to ensure brakes release.The calipers themselves have two sliding pins which if siezed will cause your problem these pins need to slide to allow the pads to release the disc.

My advice is to get a good mechanic to dismantle the brakes and clean sliding pins on the calipers.

Hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
When the whistling starts again, lift the bonnet and check the noise isn`t coming from the belts on the engine. You might need to rev the engine a bit (Go to another garage and get another opinion on your brakes although the figures don`t seem to bad).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts