Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share a guide with whoever is having this problem, as I've seen a few complaints about it.

It all started when I bought my Megane Sport Tourer Oasis with a Pan-roof. I started a thread about the whistling sunroof, as it whistled at Motorway speeds making for a very annoying & stressful journey. Plus, the windier it was, the slower I had to go to avoid the noise!
I got some great advice which was to use Silicone Grease to rejuvenate the sunroof seals, but unfortunately you can only get easy access to the front half of the main sunroof seal.

I greased this front half which did make a difference, but the noise was definately still present - so here's how to get rid completely:

- Firstly, you will need some Silicone Grease - I got mine from Maplin for £3.99.

- Open the sunroof fully, and apply a coating with your finger around the front half of the main sunroof seal.

- Close and open the sunroof a few times, to make sure that the grease is making good contact with the glass to ensure a good seal. Apply more grease if needed.

(The next steps may differ slightly for different models, as I did this on my Sport Tourer which has permanent Longitudinal Roof Bars - if you have the hatchback or Scenic, just ignore the roof bars removal step).

- Remove the longitudinal roofbars (if you have them) by:
Firstly unclipping the little holes on top. I used a very small flat screwdriver (from a spectacle repair kit). Be careful as they are easily scratched.
Then, undo the large torx bolts (3 on each bar).
The bars can then be lifted out and off.

- Then, you need to remove the black plastic strips in the roof (if you have them).

- To do this, you need to start with the back ones by doing the following with each side; With quite a bit of force needed, slide the strip out backwards (opening the boot may help).

- Then, undo the torx bolt revealed, which holds the next black strip in place - this strip is the one that guides the trailing edge of the sunroof along the top of the car when you open it.

- Ensure that the sunroof is open fully, and then slide that strip out backwards by about an inch or two (needs force again) and, whilst holding the back of the sunroof up, remove the strip.

- You can then carefully rest the trailing edge of the sunroof on the roof itself.

- You can remove the glass fully if you want by undoing the bolts/connections at the front, but for the purposes of this fix you don't need to.

- Carefully lift the trailing edge of the sunroof up enough to fit your arm underneath, and apply silicone grease to the remaining half of the main seal.

- Once you are happy that the seal is sufficiently covered (do not close the sunroof to test!) you can replace all the parts removed.

- In order to re-fit the plastic strips that hold the sunroof in place, you need to make sure that the little sunroof feet go into the runner slots in each of the strips.

- Then for each side, bring your level of sight down to the top of the roof and guide the strip into the retainer on the roof.

- Slide into place and refit the torx bolts.

- Re-fit all other bits by reversing the steps above.

Once it's all been put back together, open and close the sunroof a few times. It may stick a bit at first but will then be fine.

Then, go on the motorway and enjoy a quiet ride!! :d

Please feel free to add to this guide or add additional steps for different models - I think this wil help quite a few people.

Cheers :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
A cracking bit of information there.

Well done.

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
This is the type of thread which symbolises what this forum is all about.

Thanks again,

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi there
Can I use this method on my Grand Scenic 2004. It has got one fixed and one panoramic sunroof window. I do hear the rattling sound but not sure which one is the culprit.

I also have noticed that the doors have misaligned and I have to lift the door slightly to close the door.

This must be sorted as its so annoying

Please help guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I'd share my success with those looking for a solution to their ‘Whistling Panoramic Sunroof’.

I’ve a 2007 1.5dci Renault Scenic (that’s a Scenic II) with a Panoramic Sunroof. I searched many threads and found andyellis111 fix about the whistling sunroof, as mine too whistled at Motorway speeds and worse so with a Roof box fitted!!

Last year I tried andyellis111 solution which partially worked without roof box, however when I fitted a roof box the roof aero-dynamics were disrupted to greatly causing the sunroof rear to be pushed downwards and therefore the front of the sunroof to be pushed upwards directly into the air flow, which at higher speeds would enter the car causing excessive wind noise!

As we were cramped for space on our camping trip last year and wanted the extra car space for a long camping trip to France again this year, I really needed to find a successful solution to permit roof box fitting. Well that solution is here!

Fix part one:
First I purchased some Silicone Grease from Maplin and with the panoramic Sunroof fully open, I carefully applied the grease to rejuvenate the sunroof seals. The front half Sunroof seal is fully accessible and with care it is possible to apply the grease to the rear half, I didn’t find it necessary to remove the sunroof to achieve this! In addition, I applied this silicone grease to the front seal strip (the one that’s partially exposed with sunroof closed) and the under seal attached to the glass at the rear.

Fix part two:
The silicone grease application, I found, only partially fixed my whistling Sunroof. I discovered that the sunroof height can be adjusted and therefore possible to reduce the Sunroof height when closed to slightly below roof height, improving the aero-dynamic air flow and reducing the noise. The Sunroof noise was eliminated both with and without Roof box fitted! In an ideal world a panoramic sunroof of this design should be provided with a lock down to stop this happening!

So, on to the fix……….. open the sunroof partially and you should notice the two sliders, one on either side of the glass. Each slider has two torx bolts; each side can be adjusted independently; placing one hand on the Sunroof side to which you are adjusting, undo each bolt in turn and exert slight pressure to push the sunroof down, mine dropped by 2-3mm. Now repeat for the other side then close the sunroof whilst checking the front seal doesn’t catch the glass! If confident that the height is correct, open the Sunroof partially again and ensure the torx bolts are hand tight. You should now find the front of the Sunroof glass now doesn’t stand proud of the roof!

Open and close the sunroof a few times and check for fit. Now whizz down the motorway and enjoy a quiet ride!

Yes, with Roof box fitted we still had some noise, but this was only the wind noise of the box itself and not that of the Sun roof. This year we enjoyed a France trip, quieter with more space in our car due to Roof box being fitted!

Happy motoring! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
little addition to the question, but I might have to take it to the main forum as this is a pretty old thread. the advice is top notch. :nerd:
Same problem BUT my sunroof was ticking a bit and needed a push up to clear the lip. Sometimes it opens with a CLUNK without pushing it up a bit.
Also I can stop the whistle by wedging half a roll of bog roll or so into the back of the roof so it pushes the glass up a bit.
So I'm going to try the opposite and raise the roof rather then try and drop it down, once I've lubed it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts