Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

55 plate Megane with pan-roof,

The sunroof whistles on the motorway - not because it's happy but because wind's obviously getting past a seal or something...

The sunroof doesn't leak so it can't be that bad - is it a case of removal / cleaning / refitting of the seals? Or is there a known fix?

Thanks & Regards,
Andy

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had a look at the main seal which goes along the front, not the one that meets the sunroof edge when closed, but the main thick one which lies underneath the glass itself when closed.

This seal seems to have gone into a slightly wavy line instead of being a smooth curve.

Are these seals easy to replace? Does anybody have any advice?

Cheers

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah could give it a shot, I've noticed today though that if I push the sunroof glass upwards slightly when it's shut and I'm driving along, the noise increases.

Obviously that's going to happen but I've used the increase in noise to pin it down to where it's coming from and it is definately that main seal.

When the sunroof is shut, there's a thin seal which meets the edge of the glass at the front, but then underneath the glass is the thick seal which ensures that no water gets inside the car. I'm guessing this runs around the whole opening, and is completely covered by the glass when it's shut.

I think this is the main water seal, as it runs around in parallel to the water channels for filtering water out from the sunroof.

It's this seal that has gone from it's original shape (a smooth curve), to a rather wavy, uneven curve. Could these imperfections be causing the wind noise?

If so, would that cabrio rear plastic polish be able to re-work the seal into a more acceptable shape? Or did you think I had a convertible? :d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Andy.

My line of thinking/reasoning is that these seals depend on the plastic/rubber's flexibility. And I was just wondering if something which can help to rejuvenate the effect of weathering could help to restore the springiness that your seals would appear to have lost.

In all honesty, I don't know if that will solve the problem, but given the cost & complexity of replacing seals - I'd be tempted to give it a try.

And no, I didn't think you had a cabrio, I may be 'old skool' where an estate is an estate (or a shooting brake...), but even I know of these items known as Sport Tourers...:d

Paul

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:d I'll probably get down to Halfrauds tomorrow and see if they have something similar then...want to try and get it sorted fast...it's a really annoying sound!

And yeah I guess they thought that Sport Tourer was a more attractive name for what is basically a van with rear windows and seats! Don't know what I'd do without it though, the space is really useful - it confuses me that the Laguna Sport Tourer has a smaller boot than it's baby sister Megane Sport Tourer... :confused:

Cheers for the advice :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
it confuses me that the Laguna Sport Tourer has a smaller boot than it's baby sister Megane Sport Tourer... :confused:
Style over substance mate, that's what sells cars in that sector, especially those with aspirations of competing with the premium brands...

No probs,

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts