Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, would be grateful for any advice.
We've recently spent quite a lot of money having the cambelt and cylinders (?) replaced on our 2001 1.6 Scenic. I've noticed the last few days that I'm now getting white smoke from the exhaust when I start the engine from cold; also it judders for the first 5 minutes or so (it's done a little under 80k miles). The smoke and juddering are new since getting the car back after the cambelt work.

Has anyone come across this? It's booked into a local, decent, garage (not the same that did the cambelt) in the next week but I'm just beginning to wonder if the car has outlived its usefulness!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Over-fueling causes black smoke - not white smoke.

As a guide:-

White smoke is usually water vapour.

Black smoke is over-fueling or an engine misfire whereby unburnt fuel is getting into the exhaust.

White smoke with a distinctive bluish tinge is burning engine oil.

Keep a very close eye on the oil and coolant levels.:)

D

·
0 Posts
Over-fueling causes black smoke - not white smoke.
Erm......... nope.

White smoke IS unburnt fuel leaving the exhaust, and will smell of fuel.
White STEAM won't smell of unburnt fuel, but will give the appearance of smoke

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all newbie here same problem here too onlyme , on a 1.4 megane coupe cambelt been changed now blowing out white smoke if i leave the car running on tickover for 5 mins then drive the car up the road i have a great cloud of white smoke come out of the exhaust for 10 secs then clears. checked water levels checked oil and also the oil filler cap and they are all clean and levels are normal .and the car drives with no problem whatsoever any ideas from the experts out there........ many thanks bazza

R

·
0 Posts
I was having this problem recently on a 1.4 Scenic I recently sold. I had changed the cam belt and left the engine ticking over for an hour or so once a week to stop the battery going flat and let the engine warm up as the car was on a SORN I didn't drive it.

Just before I took it for it's last MOT I changed a couple of the exhaust mountings as one had broken and the other was very badly perished. I noticed I could hear a lot of water sloshing about inside the rear non OEM silencer ( which doesn't have a drain hole like on my Vauxhall ) When I took the car for it's MOT there was clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust :eek:

It took a good 10 minutes to clear and after a brief trip down the motorway passed it's emisions test with no problems. I can only assume that leaving the car on tick over sucking in cold damp air leads to a lot of condensation forming in the exhaust? As the car hadn't been loosing any coolant.

I also have a 2.0 Scenic which I've also done a lot of work on and some days when I start that it has a lot of water coming out of the exhaust which seems to depend wether it's parked in the sun or not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, wanted to update this thread with the latest (and ask for yet more advice please!)

Took car into usual garage for brakes replacement (grinding noise resolved); asked them to briefly investigate why we might be getting the smoke etc.
After they'd taken a quick look they said that they couldn't see anything BUT they'd had to put 3.5l of oil in (car takes 4). As the car has basically gone from one garage (cambelt) to another I asked if they thought it was reasonable to expect the previous garage to have done the oil and they said yes.
However, we've since done about 300 miles in the car and the oil's nearly empty again....can anyone suggest anything?

There is no more smoke and the car's running better, however what I did notice was that it didn't seem to have any power either on hills or in 4/5th gear; that has slightly improved but would appreciate any advice before I speak to first garage again.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I thought that also but there is no white smoke anymore. Not since it came back from having the brakes fixed (and filling of oil by same garage)...strange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts